singing juncos

Phila Rogers <philajane6@...>

Dear Birders:

The last couple of days juncos have been singing throughout my Berkeley Hills neighborhood.  Not only are they singing frequently and energetically, but they are including several song variations.

Why?  We're still two weeks away from the winter solstice and to begin declaring territory and attracting mates seems premature.  Still, bird song -- even the simple bell-like melody of one of the most abundant sparrows -- is especially welcome on these short, dark days.

Phila Rogers