Re: Golden Gate Audubon Society October 6, 2017 First Friday Birdwalk Tilden Nature Area

James Arth

On Oct 6, 2017, at 9:15 PM, george george@... [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply@...> wrote:
Thanks for leading the hike Alan! My best pics of Varied Thrush, Green Heron Band-tailed Pigeon, Red-tailed Hawk and Townsend’s Warbler.
Jim

Alan,

Thanks for leading the bird walk today.  Interesting topics covered today, as always.  Here are my photos from the walk:

http://birds.avianist.com/2017/171006-Jewel-Lake

The Green Heron did put on a good show today. Only additional bird I found looking at the photos was an American Robin.

Also here is the page I have of the Black Vultures in Maryland that took down a couple of deer (not for the faint of heart), that I talked to you about:

http://birds.avianist.com/2012/120414-Ritchie-Hwy

Thanks again,

George

http://birds.avianist.com

On 10/6/2017 4:59 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln67@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Bird Walk, October 6, 2017, Tilden Nature Area, to Jewel Lake via the boardwalk and back by the road.

Friends!

Our theme today was Vultures, the Cathartidae family. As with hummingbirds, this now exclusively Western Hemisphere family did have members in Europe in the Eocene period, about 40 million years ago. California has three vultures, the Turkey Vulture (we had three today!), Black Vulture (seen in Marin and Sonoma counties in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 but no East Bay records at eBird), and California Condor (the probably last wild one in the Bay Area was seen on the Stanford campus in January,1971). There are about 170 California Condors captive in the San Diego and Los Angeles Zoos, and about 270 out in the wild in California, Mexico and Arizona/Utah.

"Bird" o' the Day may have been two Ospreys that flew over the parking lot at the end of the walk: Bell Boeing V-22 VTOL aircraft, probably in town for Flight Week this weekend. Best Bird was the Green Heron at Jewel Lake, who posed for us for a long time. And the Red-breasted Sapsucker at the parking lot picnic table has possibly returned for the third year; this bird, photographed last year by Lee F., is featured in the Golden Gate Audubon Society calendar for 2018.

Here are the 41 species seen by 43 observers:

Wild Turkey
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture makes it official, three birds from our theme family!
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Band-tailed Pigeon
Anna's Hummingbird
Acorn Woodpecker
Red-breasted Sapsucker may be a bird that has returned for the third year to the same picnic table area at TNA parking lot!
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Black Phoebe
Hutton's Vireo