Berkeley Pier 12/05 (Black and White-winged Scoter, Pac. and Red-throated Loon)

zachary.baer2

I spent 2 hours out on the Berkeley Pier this morning from 7-9 am. There were lots of birds to sort through and glass calm waters making for an enjoyable morning. The real highlight was the female BLACK SCOTER that was first spotted on the south side of the pier about 1/3 of the way down. I then proceeded to the end of the pier where I found a female WHITE-WINGED SCOTER with a group of 5 SURF SCOTERS. Also out at the end of the pier were at least 8 RED-THROATED LOONS and 1 PACIFIC LOON. There must be at least 10 COMMON LOONS hanging around the pier and though the yellow-billed was not seen by me today it could easily have been on the other side of the break wall.

Good Birding,

Zach Baer
Berkeley, CA