N. Cal Birdbox farewell.

Joe Morlan

Birders,

The Northern California Birdbox experienced a fatal hardware failure. It
is offline and will not be continued.

The birdbox has been in continuous operation for 23 years. We are grateful
to Golden Gate Audubon Society for getting it started and supporting it. We
are also in debt to the many active birders who regularly reported their
sightings to the birding public all those years. There are more people than
I can name who made the service a success but I'd like to particularly
thank Bill Principe who invented the ordinal birdbox and Linda Swanson who
hosted it at her home for many years.

Since its inception the birdbox offered rapid-response breaking news of
rarities. Today most people get rare birds news more conveniently from
email lists, eBird and Facebook. In recent years the birdbox received
declining participation and it is time to move on.

Thank you.
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA