Lake Merritt 12/1

Lori Arthur <loriarthur61@...>

Sorry for the late post. I've been trying to load photos of the
possible 'Pink-sided' Junco onto my web page, but haven't been able to load
them so far. Lake Merritt's possible 'PINK-SIDED' JUNCO was in its usual spot,
with the 'ORGEON' JUNCO flock between the fountain and the Lawn Bowling lawns.
Most of Lakeside Park's small birds seemed to have converged on this area. While
I was there, I saw BUSHTIT, OAK TITMOUSE, CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE,
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, CALIFORNIA TOWHEE, BLACK PHOEBE, YELLOW-RUMPED and
TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS, AMERICAN ROBIN, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, and BROWN CREEPER. An
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER was at the edge of the Botanic Garden.

Both numbers and diversity of waterbirds seemed waaay down from last Friday. The
"bird paddock" was almost completely birdless, and the only gulls I saw were
GLAUCOUS-WINGED, WESTERN, and RING-BILLED. I didn't see any of the good ducks (I
didn't spend much time on ducks), although there was one strange-looking
sleeping duck that may have been the Redhead. An immature GREEN HERON was on the
edge of one of the islands, stabbing its bill into the back of a male MALLARD
that came too close.

I'll post the pictures of the Junco once I can get them onto my web page.

Noah Arthur, Oakland