Red-necked Stint still there

Noah Arthur

I made a quick mid-day stop at Elsie Roemer today, where a number of birders were still getting good scope views of the RED-NECKED STINT. The stint has become territorial around "his" rock (straight out from and maybe a little to the left of the viewing deck, as you look out), chasing other peeps away from it... Makes me wonder if he will winter? None of us could pick anything else unusual out of the 5,000 WESTERN SANDPIPERS that were present. There are still very few juvenile shorebirds of any kind there, and surprisingly few LEAST SANDPIPERS too.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)
semirelicta@...
510-967-2179