Heather Farm Park Walnut Creek

rosita94598

An early email from Fred Safier prompted my departure to see two adult American Avocets in the large pond at Heather Farm Park.  They were on the west side across from the wooden railing.  The Mallards are hanging out in the same area as they go through their eclipse plumage.

We have been seeing a Great Egret, sometimes two in the pond or the small Ygancio Canal on the west side of the pond.  Today two Great Egrets were in the main concrete channel of Walnut Creek on the other side of the Seven Hills School.  They were visible from the Contra Costa Canal bike/walking trail.

Last week I had a Western Tanager in a eucalyptus tree near the entrance to the school.  Fledgling Western Bluebirds have been around the pre-school next to the north ball fields.

Hugh B. Harvey