Re: GGAS First Friday Bird Walk, August 4, 2017 to Jewel Lake, Tilden

George A Suennen

Alan,

Thanks for leading another interesting Bird Walk. Learned a lot about hummingbirds and their migrations and influence on flower evolution.

I posted my photos from the walk at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2017/170804-Jewel-Lake

Lots of photos of the Kingfisher. Also saw many young juveniles: Robin, Towhees, Goldfinch, Turkey, and Sparrow.

Also saw a few Crows and a couple of Double-crested Cormorants that weren't on your list.

Best to All,

George

http://birds.avianist.com

On 8/5/2017 10:17 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln67@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:
Friends!

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Bird Walk, August 4, 2017. Tilden Nature Area to Jewel Lake and back again. Today's theme was Hummingbirds: new 21st century stuff on anatomy and phylogeny. Let me know if you want notes and references. Check out National Geographic July 2017 issue for Hummingbird flight article- amazing!

Thank you to Bob Smith and George S. for scope and camera close-ups.

The MoB (many observers) of 47 birders saw or heard these 33 species :

Wild Turkey
Red-shouldered Hawk
Band-tailed Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird
Belted Kingfisher He flew out, dove for, and caught a fish while we watched. Preening for a long time observed.
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker Picidae Grand Slam!
Pacific-slope Flycatcher
Black Phoebe
Hutton's Vireo
Warbling Vireo Family with young at the lake
Steller's Jay
California Scrub-Jay
Common Raven Corvid Hat-trick!
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Bewick's Wren
Wrentit
Swainson's Thrush
American Robin
Orange-crowned Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
California Towhee
Spotted Towhee
Black-headed Grosbeak
Lesser Goldfinch

Best of Boids!

Alan Kaplan

Please use my new email address from now on:

Thanks,
Alan Kaplan