Hayward Shoreline and San Leandro Marina

Bob Richmond

Today at the shoreline and San Leandro Marina -

Common Merganser - 6 in San Lorenzo Creek. They were formerly very rare here. I only had 3 records from 1983 through 2006. Since then I have seen them 27 times.

Black Oystercatcher - 4. 3 at San Leandro Marina (on the Island just south of the mouth of the marina) and 1 at the mouth of San Lorenzo Creek.

Also seen on that island were Surfbird (26+), Ruddy Turnstone, and Black Turnstone.

Western Tanager - 1. In the row of trees across Winton Ave. from the park office. This is my first March record at the shoreline.

Dark-eyed Junco - 1 female at Winton Ave. I only see them about twice a year.

Bob