Del Puerto Canyon (PAAS field trip) 04-13-17

Matthew Dodder

Folks,

I led the second half of my Palo Alto Adult School birding class through Del Puerto Canyon and San Antonio Valley yesterday. Conditions were sunnier and but windier than last Saturday. Birding was stupendous with a little less traffic but still a few targets missed—Costa's Hummingbird and Lawrence's Goldfinch remained invisible for us. Still, highlights were numerous, (all Stanislaus county unless otherwise noted) and here are a few:

Grassland:
Blue Grosbeak (2 males in orchard)
Lazuli Bunting (2 females in orchard)
Western Kingbird (impossible to miss)
Loggerhead Shrike (a few, thinly distributed)
Golden Eagle
Horned Lark
Rock Wren
Say's Phoebe
American Goldfinch (several in orchards)

Graffiti Rock and Owl Rock:
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Rock Wren (Owl Rock)
Western Wood-Pewee
Lark Sparrow
Rufous-crowned Sparrow (Graffiti Rock)
Barn Owl (2 in caves)
White-throated Swift (Owl rock caves)
Say's Phoebe (Owl Rock)
Wilson's Warbler
Warbling Vireo
Phainopepla

Lower Canyon:
Rock Wren
Yellow-billed Magpie
Green Heron
Phainopepla (Graffiti Rock, and Creek Crossing)
Rufous-crowned Sparrow (dependable in rocky artemesia slopes)

Minear Day Use:
Warbling Vireo
Black-headed Grosbeak
House Wren
Nuttall's Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker (heard along creek before Frank Raines)
Hairy Woodpecker (heard in gray pines before Frank Raines)
Northern Pygmy-Owl (second week in a row)

Upper Canyon:
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Spotted Towhee
Warbling Vireo
Western Tanager
Black-headed Grosbeak

Del Puerto Canyon (Santa Clara):
Tricolored Blackbird (colony pond)
Pied-billed Grebe
Violet-green Swallow
Western Bluebird
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Bell's Sparrow (chamise slope before junction)

San Antonio Valley (Santa Clara):
Lewis's Woodpecker (3, possibly 4 south of Junction)

Mines Road (Alameda):
Golden Eagle (4)
Rufous-crowned Sparrow
Greater Roadrunner (with prey, MP 6.5)
Red-shouldered Hawk (creek crossing before Del Valle turnoff)
White-tailed Kite (creek crossing before Del Valle turnoff)

Matthew Dodder
Mountain View