Mitchell Canyon (PAAS field trip) 04-29-17

Matthew Dodder

I led my Palo Alto Adult School birding class to Mitchell Canyon yesterday for a sunny morning of birding. Highlights were a fleeting encounter with a CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD on the the White Canyon Trail near the second cluster of tree stumps a short distance from the junction with the main trail. The presumed male zipped through and briefly perched and gave two distinctive vocalizations. We had other hummingbirds that gave us pause, including a small female on the the trail higher up, but could not get it to settle down.

We had several SHARP-SHINNED and COOPER'S HAWK views above the ridge, presumably not all unique individuals.

A couple of WESTERN TANAGER were found during our tour, along with many BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAKS, WARBLING VIREOS and HUTTON'S VIREOS.

We encountered several HERMIT WARBLERS at the north end of the Globe Lily Trail, which we heard singing and observed for several minutes. TOWNSEND'S WARLBER was seen as well in this area, and BLACK-THROATED GRAY was heard a couple of times but never viewed. This section was quite active with Warblers during both times we passed it.

ASH-THROATED FLYCATCHERS were abundant and seen many times throughout the day. A WESTERN WOOD PEWEE was heard but not viewed on the main trail, and on our return walk we saw two OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHERS. Two PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS were seen and several more heard along the creek.

The wind picked up late morning and we returned to the lot for lunch. One member was able to heard the PHAINOPEPLA above the visitors center, but the bird did not allow itself to be seen.

Matthew Dodder
Mountain View