Garin Regional Park 04-08-17 (PAAS field trip)

Matthew Dodder

I led my Palo Alto Adult School birding class to Garin Regional Park yesterday. We were only able to bird for a couple of hours before the rain and wind kicked up and made it necessary to stop. Still, while the weather held, we had some good sights.

BAND-TAILED PIGEONS were seen flying overhead several times, and a pair of Selasphorus Hummingbirds buzzed through, near the Garin Ave entrance. Two WILSON'S WARBLER were easily found both by their voice, and gleaming yellow color that stood out in the shadowy flooded section between the barn and the pond. BULLOCK'S ORIOLES were abundant in the sycamores near the barn, as well as WESTERN KINGBIRDS. Of course, PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHERS were heard and seen along the creek. We also had a pair of HOODED ORIOLES make a brief appearance in the trees above the lot before they moved off toward the south. A few WARBLING VIREOS were also found. HOUSE WRENS were loud and conspicuous along the creek. RED-SHOULDERED HAWKs seemed to be on territory near the footbridge. We saw several instances of nesting, including a NUTTALL'S WOODPECKER nest, BLACK PHOEBE and HOUSE FINCH.

After the trip was cut short, several folks made a quick run to the May Road entrance to the south, finding most of the same birds, but adding a few others. The garden was open, so we explored that area briefly. GOLDEN EAGLE and SHARP-SHINNED HAWK were standout birds, but we also had WHITE-THROATED SWIFT.

Matthew Dodder
Mountain View, CA