Re: Unknown Hawk flying over Canyon Trail Park in El Cerrito

George A Suennen

Bob,

This seems to be consensus of responses. I hadn't seen one here in El Cerrito, but I have seem them at Lake Chabot and Skaggs Island, so they are around.

Thanks for the confirmation,

George
http://birds.avianist.com

On 4/1/2017 10:32 PM, Bob Power rcpower@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

George,

The bird you've captured on film is a Bald Eagle. Heading to San Pablo Res. or.... Starbuck's?

The almost white head and yellow bill are reasonably diagnostic.
The dark tail with some white feathers, where an adult's would be white, indicate maybe a bird in its 4th year, but someone smarter than me could verify that or dispute it.

The white head and yellow bill, with the head being nearly 1/2 the size of the tail, negate a Golden Eagle, which has a smaller head and golden nape.

Good birding,

Bob Power
Oakland, CA

On Saturday, April 1, 2017 10:19 PM, "george george@... [EBB_Sightings]" wrote:

Hello all,

I was at Canyon Trail Park in El Cerrito this afternoon, photographing a
Red-breasted Nuthatch make it's nest when a hawk flew over. I managed
to get 4 photos before it vanished behind the trees. I figured it was a
Red-tailed Hawk, since that seems to be 90% of the sightings around
here, but after looking at the photos I can't tell what type of hawk it is.

I put up images on my website, they are images 12-15 on this page:

http://birds.avianist.com/2017/170401-Canyon-Trail

I further cropped, then lightened the image and posted it at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2017/170401-Canyon-Trail/slide.php?page_num=16

It's got a very dark body and light colored head.

Any insight about this hawk would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

http://birds.avianist.com