Unknown Hawk flying over Canyon Trail Park in El Cerrito

George A Suennen

Hello all,

I was at Canyon Trail Park in El Cerrito this afternoon, photographing a Red-breasted Nuthatch make it's nest when a hawk flew over. I managed to get 4 photos before it vanished behind the trees. I figured it was a Red-tailed Hawk, since that seems to be 90% of the sightings around here, but after looking at the photos I can't tell what type of hawk it is.

I put up images on my website, they are images 12-15 on this page:

http://birds.avianist.com/2017/170401-Canyon-Trail

I further cropped, then lightened the image and posted it at:

http://birds.avianist.com/2017/170401-Canyon-Trail/slide.php?page_num=16

It's got a very dark body and light colored head.

Any insight about this hawk would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

http://birds.avianist.com