Hayward Shoreline—Winton (PAAS Field Trip)

Matthew Dodder

Folks,

I led my Palo Alto Adult School birding class to Hayward Shoreline yesterday.

The parking lot had a nesting pair of WHITE-TAILED KITES and perhaps
ten Selasphorus HUMMINGBIRDS. Of course, it was hard to get good looks
at them, but because we witnessed courtship dive-and-buzz, we assumed
they were primarily ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRDS.

Most of the other expected species were present including a BURROWING OWL,
an OSPREY and a large group of "Aleutian" CACKLING GEESE, and two SNOW GEESE.

The shoreline was crowded with Shorebirds during the hight tide, and
we spotted a good group of RED KNOT, including some in pre-alternate molt.
There were also four BLACK OYSTERCATCHER, and two RUDDY TURNSTONES.

Gulls were not abundant, but we did have a nice variety. Frank's Dump was
essentially devoid of birds because the rain had filled up the basin, making
it much harder for birds to find shallow water.

Matthew Dodder
Mountain View