Am. Pipit DENWR, Eur. Wigeon CHRP (car birding)

scfloyd2000

I drove out Marshlands Road at Don Edwards NWR to the fishing pier this afternoon.  About two miles from the visitor center, a sand bar connected to the shoreline often attracts a variety of shorebirds.  Today, DUNLIN, SANDERLINGS, and WESTERN and LEAST sandpipers were busily feeding while a lone continuing AMERICAN PIPIT bobbed along the grassy shoreline.  The one or two pipits occasionally seen here are usually closer to the pier.

On my way north to Coyote Hills RP, I turned left off Paseo Padre Parkway just past Highway 84 onto Quarry Road to look into the seasonally flooded Cargill ponds which attract many ducks and shorebirds. A LESSER YELLOWLEGS was feeding close to the road.

At Coyote Hills, a EURASIAN WIGEON was in the westernmost pond of Main Marsh, easily viewed from the bus parking lot.

On my way out, I heard a RING-NECKED PHEASANT call from the south side of the road near the entry kiosk.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont