Richmond Merlin/Pt Pinole Peregrines

Sheila Dickie

This morning, February 1, 2017, caught a quick look at a Merlin perched atop a telephone pole in the 600 block of 30th Street in Richmond N&E. Two blocks north of Barrett Ave. It took off at speed toward the East. For a couple of years there has been a regular neighborhood Merlin beginning in December, but this is the first time I have seen one this season.

Also with apologies for late post. Two Peregrine Falcons were on the old pier at Pt Pinole Regional Shoreline Park on Sunday, January 29, 2017, round about 3 p.m. One of the falcons was on the Osprey nest. It jumped up and down a few times, then flew to an adjacent perch with a twig. Sat on the perch with twig, turned as I did to the other falcon, which had vanished. I watched for a while but the second falcon did not reappear, and the other falcon resumed its perch next to the nest, leaving the twig a few posts away. The old pier is parallel with the new fishing pier out at the point.

There was also an Osprey perched on a post on the north side of the park, seen from the intersection of the Marsh Trail and Owl Alley, near the pond.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond