Harlan's Hawk and Barrow's Goldeneye at Arrowhead; Yellow Warbler at Oyster Bay

Noah Arthur

This morning I met up with Scott Baron, a Pennsylvania birder visiting the Bay Area, at Arrowhead Marsh in Oakland. The RIDGWAY'S RAILS were really putting on a show, stumping around on the mud at low tide, and Scott picked out a nice male BARROW'S GOLDENEYE in the big duck flock off the marsh. At the parking lot by the intersection of Swan Way and the park entrance road, a nice dark juvenile HARLAN'S HAWK floated overhead -- the second one I've seen in two days, after having birded the Bay Area for eight years and never seeing one until yesterday! Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/73989529@N02/albums/72157677341669586

In the afternoon I gulled San Leandro Marina, which had relatively few gulls due to high tide (where do they all go??). Late in the afternoon I visited the Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline entrance at the end of Davis Street (parking doesn't seem to be an issue here, despite a sign at the Davis/Williams intersection that seems to indicate that only Alco customers may park on the block). There's been a male YELLOW WARBLER hanging around there since at least Thanksgiving, presumably the same one that wintered there (in drab immature plumage) last year, and he finally let me get some good photos today.

Noah Arthur (Oakland)
semirelicta@...
510-967-2179