Golden Gate Audubon Society December 2, 2016 First Friday Birdwalk

Alan Kaplan

Friends!

Tilden Nature Area, Contra Costa, California, US
Dec 2, 2016    8:30 AM - 11:00 AM

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Bird Walk, December 2, 2016. Tilden Nature Area, to Jewel Lake and back from the  parking lot. We had our second annual book exchange (thanks, Terri W. and others who contributed books and magazines for the exchange). Bird of the day: Hooded Merganser (two males and one female), the first ones at Jewel Lake for 2016 (at least as far as I can find on Ebird). The 2015 Hoodies arrived in late October and were seen through November; this year, there were none reported in October or November. Visitors today from Alabama and United Kingdom (Edinburgh, by way of London suburbs) got lifers!

36 observers saw these 30 species:

Hooded Merganser    first Hooded Mergansers of 2016 at Jewel Lake, Tilden Nature Area, just arrived! [from British Columbia?]
Wild Turkey  
Double-crested Cormorant       a Vee of seven flew over (on their way to nearby reservoir?)
American White Pelican      flyover, maybe on the way to the same reservoir as the cormorants?
Turkey Vulture  
Golden Eagle  
Red-shouldered Hawk  
Red-tailed Hawk 
Anna's Hummingbird  
Acorn Woodpecker 
Red-breasted Sapsucker      possibly the same bird for several years has returned to the same Cotoneaster in the parking lot
Northern Flicker  
Black Phoebe 
Steller's Jay  
California Scrub-Jay 
Common Raven  
Red-breasted Nuthatch  
Brown Creeper 
Golden-crowned Kinglet  
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  
Hermit Thrush  
American Robin  
Townsend's Warbler  
Fox Sparrow  
Dark-eyed Junco  
Golden-crowned Sparrow  
Song Sparrow 
California Towhee  
Spotted Towhee  
Lesser Goldfinch  

I will do a December 26th (Monday) “Wren Day” bird walk again this year; meet at the Tilden Nature Area parking lot at 8:30am.

Best of Boids!

Alan Kaplan

------------

Please use my new email address from now on:

Thanks,
Alan Kaplan

Join EBB-Sightings@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.