Re: Golden Gate Audubon First Friday Bird Walk, October 7, 2016, Tilden Nature Area

George A Suennen

Thanks for leading the group Alan.

Here are my photos from this morning's walk:

http://birds.avianist.com/2016/161007-Jewel-Lake

Not many photos, none great, but they are good enough to verify the bird species (15).

I think I took too much time off and I'm out of practice.

Best Regards,

George

http://avianist.com

On 10/7/2016 2:02 PM, Alan Kaplan lnkpln67@... [EBB_Sightings] wrote:

Friends!

Golden Gate Audubon Society First Friday Bird Walk, October 7, 2016. Tilden Nature Area (to Jewel Lake and back again).
Honored Guest today was Dave Quady, who cheerfully and expertly answered questions all morning! Thanks, Dave!

Today's theme was the Breeding Bird Atlases of the north Bay Area Counties (Marin, Sonoma, Napa and Solano). Dave brought copies of these for us to view and spoke briefly about the Pacific Coast counties and their atlases from San Diego to Humboldt.

Sonoma has recently completed their second BBA, and it is available (preliminary data) at the Breeding Bird Atlas Explorer/Manager website maintained by the USGS Patuxent Bird Research Center. Used copies of most of the other atlases can be found at "the usual suspects" on-line; the coffee-table sized Breeding Birds of Solano County is out of print but stay-tuned for news of a fully-illustrated but reduced-in-size version. Meanwhile, Murray Berner has a smaller version of the Solano BBA available at the Blurb website (maps and species accounts but many fewer photo; print on demand).

Write me if you want a copy of my notes on the Breeding Bird Atlases of Marin, Sonoma (I and II), Napa, and Solano counties.

Next month’s theme will be Migration, using information from the brand-new Handbook of Bird Biology from Cornell Lab of Ornithology/Wiley.

Here are the 30 species seen by our party of 32 observers.

Mallard
Wild Turkey
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Band-tailed Pigeon
Anna's Hummingbird
Acorn Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Black Phoebe
Warbling Vireo
Steller's Jay
California Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Townsend's Warbler
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Song Sparrow
Spotted Towhee

Best of Boids!

Alan Kaplan

Please use my new email address from now on:

LNKPLN67@...

Thanks,
Alan Kaplan