Topics

Your Thursday Night All Request Show

Doc Phil

Doc Phil & Tony's Doo Wop Clinic & Encyclopedia - SHOW # 434
The All Request - Virtual Vinyl** Show
November 28, 2019
8:00 - 11:00 PM Eastern Time

*Value of Original 45 RPM Records per "45 RPM Vocal Group Record Price Guide," 9th Edition, by Jeff Kreiter. Total Value (Original 45 RPMs - First Pressings) this weeks 45s: $16,356.

**All Released Recordings from 45 or 78 RPM Records. "Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

MISSION STATEMENT
To provide its listeners with an opportunity to request and hear the lesser known vocal group harmony recordings of the 1950s and early 1960s, in addition to those standards and classics which are more commonly heard. Also featured are the roots of the music from the 1940s and 1930s (and sometimes even earlier) and post-1960s recordings inspired by the vocal group harmony sound of the 1950s. Whenever available, verified historical information about the recordings and the artists performing them are provided during the show, for the distinct purpose of teaching, scholarship, and research.

GROUP COMPOSITION
BMG = Black Male Group (36)
BMGFL = Black Male Group With Female Lead (3)
BMGS = Black Male Group; Self-Contained Band (2)
BFG = Black Female Group (2)
IMG = Racially Mixed Male Group (3)
ICG = Racially Mixed; Mixed Gender Group (1)
WMG = White Male Group (8)
WCG = White Mixed Gender Group (1)
WFG = White Female Group (1)

OPENER
Clickettes (BFG): Jive Time Turkey - November 1958 Dice 83 ($300) [Last played 11/23/17; as Opener]
b/w Dice 84: "A Teenagers First Love." Members of the NYC group on this recording: Barbara Jean English (Lead), Sylvia Hammond (Alto), Charlotte McCartney & Trudy McCartney.

The Clickettes had 5 releases on the Dice label: 2 in 1958 & 3 in 1959. This was their 1st on the label. After leaving Dice, they had a 1960 release on Guyden.

"Clickettes" was sometimes spelled "Clicketts" & "Click-Ettes."

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY BRIAN UK
Billy The Kid & Supremes (BMG): You Are Mine - October 1958 Bernice 202 ($250) [Last played 7/18/13; at Request of George]
b/w "Be My Love." Group's only release.

Blendairs (WMG): My Love Is Just For You - 1959 Tin Pan Alley 252 ($125) [Last played 4/11/19; at Request of Larry & Roze D]
b/w "Repetition." Group's only release. They were from the Bushwick section of Brooklyn (NY).

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY ART & CATHY
Lewis Lymon & Teenchords (IMG): Tell Me Love - November 1957 End 1007 ($75) [Last played 7/18/13; at Request of Art & Cathy]
b/w "I Found Out Why." Members of the NYC group on this recording: Owen Hightower (Bass), Lewis Lymon (Lead Tenor), Eddie Pelligrino (Baritone), Rossilio Rocca (2nd Tenor) & Ralph Vaughn (1st Tenor).

This was the 2nd of their 3 releases on the End label: 2 in 1957 & 1 in 1962. They also had 3 on Fury (2 in 1956 & 1 in 1957) and 1 on Juanita (1958).

Sedates (WMG): I Found - 1958 MRB 171 ($50) [Last played 10/19/17; at Request of Art & Cathy]
b/w "Please Love Me Forever." Reissued in August 1958 on Port (# 70004) and in February 1961 on Twentieth Century (# 1212). Group's only release.

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY DONNA
Chimes (WMG): Du Wap - Recorded September 22, 1957; Released January 24, 1959 Limelight 3002 ($15)
b/w "Stop Look And Listen." This was the 2nd of the group's 2 releases. Both were on the Limelight label; the 1st was in October 1957.

"Du Wap" and its flip side were scheduled to be released on the Mercury label (# 76214) on January 21, 1958, but for unknown reasons were never released by Mercury.

El Capris (BMG): To Live Again - Recorded 1957; Released 1972 Fee Bee 216 ($8 est.)
b/w "Your Star." This is the 2nd release of Fee Bee # 216. The 1st release in 1957 had "Your Star" b/w "Dance All Night." That 1957 pressing books for $300.

Members of the Pittsburgh (PA) group on this recording: William Germany (Baritone; Congas), Leon Gray (Baritone), Larry Hill (Bass), Eddie Jackson (Tenor), Theodore McCrary (2nd Tenor), James Scott (1st Tenor) & James Ward (Bass; Bongos). The lead was sung by Eddie Jackson.

This was the 2nd of the group's 2 releases on the Fee Bee label. It was probably a pressing for the collector market which was peaking in 1972 - 1974. (The 1st release on Fee Bee was the 1957 release of Fee Bee # 216 mentioned above.)

They also had 1 release on Bullseye (1956), 1 on Paris (1958) and 1 on Ring-O (1965).

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY ZEKE
Lewis Lymon & Teenchords (IMG): Dance Girl - 1985 Starlight 25 ($5)
b/w "Honey Honey." The reformed NYC group had 2 releases on the Starlight label; this was the 2nd.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY MIKE SHALAWAY
Billy Love & Lovers (WMG): Legend Of Love - March 1964 Dragon 4403 ($50) [Last played 5/30/19; at Request of Brian UK]
b/w "Hold Me Close." Group's only release. They were a NYC group; the exact borough is not known.

"Legend Of Love" was originally recorded by the Legends and was released in November 1957 on the Hull label (# 727). The flip side ("Hold Me Close") was originally recorded by Lonnie & the Carollons and was released in October 1958 on the Mohawk label (# 111).

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY CAPE MAY LOU
Orlandos (BMG): Cloudburst - 1957 Cindy 3006 ($350) [Last played 11/1/18; at Request of Art NJ]
b/w "Old MacDonald." Members of the one-record group from Pittsburgh (PA): Wallace Berry (Bass), John Crowder (Baritone; Bass), Roger Randolph (Tenor), Nate Thomas (Tenor) & Ronnie Williams (Lead Tenor).

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY DOCTOR C
Souveniers (BMG): It's Too Bad - 1962 Inferno 2001 ($75)
b/w "I Could Have Danced All Night." Group's only release.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY JR
Mighty Echoes (WMG): Teenager in Love - 2002 Brooklyn International CD ("The Mighty Echoes - Doo Wop Til You Drop")
From Los Angeles (CA). Members on this recording: Harvey Shield (Baritone), Keith Joe Dick (2nd Tenor), Jon Rubin (Tenor) & Charlie Davis (Bass). The lead was sung by Harvey Shield.
Mighty Echoes - The Great Pretender

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY FRAN
Adelphies (BMG): Darlin' It's You - April 1958 Rim 2021 ($75) [Last played 3/21/19; at Request of Ruby]
b/w Rim 2020: “Kathleen.”
Members of the Brooklyn (NY) group on this recording: Dennis Armstead, Carl Baldwin, Chris Baskerville, Tyrone Benjamin & Jimmy Price.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY FREDDIE
Original Cadillacs (BMG): Hurry Home - June 1957 Josie 821 ($25) [Last played 5/23/19; at Request of Barb]
b/w "Lucy." Members of the NYC group on this recording: Charles "Buddy" Brooks (Tenor), Earl "Speedo" Carroll (Tenor), Bobby Phillips (Bass; Baritone) & Earl Wade (Baritone). The lead was sung by Earl Carroll.

Why did Josie call them the "Original Cadillacs" on this release? On the prior release by the "Cadillacs" (Josie # 820: "My Girlfriend"), the group was not really the Cadillacs. Its members were James R. Bailey, Waldo Rollin Champen (aka Champ Rollow), William Lindsay & Bobby Spencer. "Original" was added to the group's name on this release to indicate that the "real" Cadillacs made the recordings on the 45.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY MIKE SWEENEY
Boulevards (WMG): Stardust - 2005 Clifton CD 3046 ("Down the Acappella Road")
The group's origins were in NYC; most of the members (if not all) were from the Bronx (NY). Only first names of 3 of the 5 members are known: Tony, Brian, & Gary.

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY JACK
Bubber Johnson (BMG): A Crazy Afternoon - 1957 King 5068 ($15)
b/w "So Much Tonight." The uncredited group backing Bubber Johnson is the Admirals.

The Admirals were from Omaha (NE) and had three 1955 releases on the King label; on 1 they shared label credit with Cathy Ryan. Members of the Admirals: WILLIE BARNES (Tenor; Lead Tenor), RICHARD BEASLEY (Bass), WESLEY DEVEREAUX (1st Tenor), JAMES FARMER (Baritone) & EUGENE McDANIELS (2nd Tenor).

The exact same lineup also recorded as the Sultans and had 4 releases as the Sultans on the Duke label: 3 in 1954 & 1 in 1957.

Robert "Bubber" Johnson was a single artist who often recorded with a vocal group backing him. In 1952, he had his only release where the vocal group was named on the record label: Mercury # 8285; Bubber Johnson & the Dreamers - "Forget If You Can." On 19 releases on the KIng label, he was backed by an uncredited group. These uncredited groups include the Admirals and the Hurricanes.

Cufflinx (BMG): Trick Knees - February 1958 Dooto 434 ($75)
b/w "A Fool's Fortune." Members of the Los Angeles (CA) group on this recording: Elroy Coleman (Bass), Henry "Little Henry" Houston (Lead Tenor), Jerry Speed (2nd Tenor; Baritone; Alto) & Moses "Moe" Walker (1st Tenor). The lead was sung by Henry Houston.

There were several variations of the group & several variations in the spelling of their name. This same line-up using this spelling was the "So Tough" group.
As with many West Coast groups, members of this group "got around." Among the other groups the members sang in were:

Elroy Coleman: the Rain Drops (on Spin it), the Raindrops on (Corsair), the Sunrisers, Moe Walker & the Webs, the Style Kings, the Cuff Links (on Dooto # 474) and Henry Houston & the Cufflinx.

Henry "Little Henry" Houston: the Raindrops (on Corsair), the Lovebugs (aka Hank & Sugar Pie), the Sunrisers, Moe Walker & the Webs, the Style Kings, the Cuff Links (on Dooto # 474), Henry Houston & the Cufflinx, the Rain Drops (on Spin it) and Little Henry & the Shamrocks.

Jerry Speed: the Sunrisers, the Raindrops (on Corsair), Moe Walker & the Webs, the Style Kings (on Sotoplay # 014), the Cuff Links (on Dooto # 474), Henry Houston & the Cufflinx and the Rain Drops (on Spin it).

Moses "Moe" Walker: the Rain Drops (on Spin It), the Sunrisers, Moe Walker & the Webs, the Style Kings, the Cuff Links (on Dooto # 474), Henry Houston & the Cufflinx and the Raindrops (on Corsair).

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY LARRY & ROZE D
Bertha Tillman (BMGFL): I Wish  - 1962 Brent 7032 ($40) [Last played 12/11/14; at Request of Larry & Roze D]
b/w "(I Believe) Something Is Going On." Group backing Bertha is reported to be J. J. Jackson & the Jackaels aka Hank Blackman & the Killers. (A San Diego (CA) group consisting of William E. "June" ("J. J.") Jackson, Hubert Richardson, James Famber & Hank Blackman.)

This was the 2nd of Bertha's 2 releases on Brent; the 1st was the fairly well-known "Oh My Angel."

Bertha Tillman (BMGFL): Oh My Angel - 1962 Brent 7029 ($20) [Last played 11/29/18; at Request of Larry & Roze D]
b/w "Lovin' Time." This was the 1st of Bertha's 2 releases on the Brent label.

The group backing Bertha is reported to be J. J. Jackson & the Jackaels aka Hank Blackman & the Killers. (A San Diego (CA) group consisting of William E. "June" ("J. J.") Jackson, Hubert Richardson, James Famber & Hank Blackman.)

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY JOE K
Bennie Martin (BMG): Darling Goodbye - 1960 Astra 109 ($2,000) [Last played 10/20/16; at Request of Denny T]
b/w "That Is Why (I Love You)." In 1974, the recording was bootlegged on Owl (# 331) with the artist name changed to the "Continentals" and song titles modified to "Goodbye" & "This Is Why." The actual name of the group backing Bennie Martin is not known; the name "Continentals" appears to have been made-up when the Owl 45 was pressed.

One unverified source claims that the singers backing Bennie Martin on this recording were Clifford Nobles, Steve Dickenson, Webb Dixon, Edward Davison & Elbert Byford.

Colonairs (BMG): Devil's Angel - Recorded Circa 1956; Unreleased [Last played 3/17/16; at Request of Barb]
This is reported to be the Ember group from Long Island, NY. (One release on Ember in 1957.)

Known members of the Ember group: Kenneth Dames, David Francis & Henry Williamson (Lead Tenor). Henry Williamson was also the Lead Singer of the Sunbeams on their 1957 release on the Acme label.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY ART NJ
El Domingoes (BMG): Evening Bells - April 1958 Kappa Rex 206 ($1,000) [Last played 1/26/17; at Request of Phil]
b/w "I'm Not Kidding You." Members of the Los Angeles (CA) group: Curtis Stanton (Lead Tenor; Tenor), Jay Vernon (Tenor; Guitarist), Robert Troutt (Baritone), Lawrence Thompson (1st Tenor; 2nd Tenor) & "Turk" ? (Bass).

This was the group's only release as the El Domingoes. They also recorded as the Sputniks and had 2 releases in 1962 on the Pammar label. In addition, Lead Singer Curtis Stanton was also the Lead of the Sputniks on Class; he is the only connection between the El Domingoes and the Class Sputniks.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY BRAD
Gaytunes (BMG): Tell Me You Love Me - Recorded 1956; Released 1984 Crystal Ball LP 116 ("Al Brown's New York Sound, Vol. 1") [Last played 4/4/19; at Request of Jeff]
This is an unreleased Joyce master. The Gaytunes on Joyce were Waymon "Butterman" Carey (Baritone), Fred Davis, Harry Hutchinson, Earl "Chubby" Kirton (Lead Tenor) & Harry Pinchback.

The Brooklyn (NY) group's only commercial release on the Joyce label was their November 1956 classic, "I Love You" b/w "You Left Me." The group (with some differences in personnel) was also the Gay Tunes on Timely ("Thrill Of Romance") and on Dome ("Don't Go").

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY BARB
Johnny Otis Show (Marie Adams & Three Tons Of Joy) (BFG): In The Dark - September 1957 Capitol 3800 ($25)
b/w "Ma (He's Makin' Eyes At Me)." Three Tons Of Joy had 1 other release on Command Performance: "Whispers" - release date unknown.

Members of the Los Angeles (CA) group: Marie Adams, Doris McKinny, & Francielle McKinny.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY BULL
Clovers (BMG): Hey, Doll Baby - Recorded November 11, 1955; Released January 1956 Atlantic 1083 ($40)
b/w "Devil Or Angel." Members of the Washington (DC) group on this recording: John H. "Buddy" Bailey (Tenor), Harold Lucas, Jr. (Baritone), William Joseph "Billy" Mitchell, Jr. (Tenor),
Matthew McQuater (2nd Tenor) & Harold Winley (Bass). The lead was sung by John H. "Buddy" Bailey.

The Clovers 1st release was on the Rainbow label in 1950: Rainbow # 11-122, "Yes Sir That's My Baby." They then moved to Atlantic where they had a total of 22 released singles: 2 in 1951; 3 in 1952; 3 in 1953; 4 in 1954; 2 in 1955; 4 in 1956; 3 in 1957; 1 in 1958. This was their 15th on Atlantic.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY DAVE
Re-Vels (BMG): False Alarm - October 9, 1958 Chess 1708 ($250) [Last played 10/24/19; at Request of Patrick]
b/w "When You Come Back To Me." Members of the Philadelphia (PA) group on this recording: Henry Colclough (Lead Tenor), John Grant (Tenor; Pianist), William Jackson (1st Tenor), John Henry Jones, Jr. (Bass) & John Kelly (Lead Tenor, 2nd Tenor). The lead on "False Alarm" was probably sung by John Kelly.

This was the last of the group's 4 releases as the Re-Vels; 1 was on Chess, 1 was on Teen, and 2 were on Sound. They also had 1 release on Atlas as the Re-Vels Quartette & 4 or 5 on Norgolde as the Revels. (On 1 side of 1 of the Norgolde releases they were incorrectly billed as the "Ravels.")

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY PATRICK
Starglows (BMG): Let's Be Lovers - Recorded June 10, 1963; Released June 1963 Atco 6272 ($25) [Last played 2/18/16; at Request of Brad]
b/w "Walk Softly Away." Many think this group is the Flamingos. Not entirely true. Group members included Nathaniel "Nate" Nelson (Lead Tenor; Baritone) and Isaiah "Terry" "Buzzy" Johnson (1st Tenor; Baritone) of the Flamingos. Other members were Hardy Hall, Jr. (Bass), Larry Jones (2nd Tenor) & "Shug" ? (Vocals; Drummer). This was their only release.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY PHIL
Send Requests To: drphilx1@...

Hall Brothers (WMG): Now You Say We Are Thru - June 1958 Arc 4444 ($15)
b/w "My White Convertible." One-record group from Staten Island (NY) consisting of ALBERT HALL, ALLEN HALL, GARY HALL & ROY HALL.
REQUEST SUBMITTED BY JERSEY GIRL CAROLYN
Crests (BMG): Three Tears In A Bucket - July 1962 Trans Atlas 696 ($25) [Last played 3/19/15; at Request of Jersey Girl Carolyn]
b/w "The Actor." This is a later group of Crests. Johnny Mastroangelo was NOT a member of the Crests in 1962. (He left the group in late 1961.) This 1962 lineup of the Crests consisted of Kenneth Head (Tenor), Gary Lewis (Tenor), Harold Torres (2nd Tenor) & Jay T. "J. T." Carter (Baritone; Bass). Only Torres and Carter remained from the original Crests.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY WOODY S
Capitol's (ICG): Day By Day - Recorded 1963; Released 1964 Gateway 721 (Stock $150; Promo $125) [Last played 8/31/17; at Request of Denny T]
b/w "Little Things." Members on this recording: Doris Goins, Clarence Herd, Edward Hicks, George Taliaferro & Rickey Toliver. The lead was sung by Doris Goins. They were from the Homewood district of Pittsburgh (PA).

The group is related to Mickey Toliver & the Capitols on the Cindy label. Rickey and Mickey Toliver are brothers.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY DENNY T
Counts (BMG): I Need You Tonight - August 11, 1955 Dot 1265 ($50) [Last played 8/13/15; at Request of Joe S]
b/w "Sally Walker." Members of the Indianapolis (IN) group: Chester Brown (Lead Tenor), James Lee (Bass), Robert Penick (2nd Tenor), Robert Wesley (1st Tenor) & Robert Young (Baritone).

The group had 8 releases. All were on the Dot label: 5 in 1954, 2 in 1955 & 1 in 1956. This was their 7th. (Dot also reissued 3 of their singles in the early 1960s.)

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY RUBY
Decoys (BMGFL): Memories - 1972 Aljon 1261 ($40) [Last played 4/5/18 as Opener]
b/w Four Fellows: "Happy Honeymoon." Members: Connie Questell, Herbert Joseph, Isaac Gordon, Malcolm Quick, & Marion Greene.

Connie Questell leads the Bronx (NY) group on this Al Browne production. In 1973, Al sold the master (b/w an unreleased side by the group, "Space Jockey") to Vintage Records for $50; Vintage never released them.

Al recorded all of the Decoys releases including their 1st on the Times Sq. label ("It's Going To Be Alright," and both the Times Sq. and Aanko versions of "I Want Only You."

Al considered Connie Questell to be the "best" female singer he ever recorded. (On at least one occasion, he referred to her as the female Johnny Maestro.)

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY TIM
Infatuators (BMG): I Found My Love - June 1961 Destiny 504 ($350) [Last played 3/8/18; at Request of Art & Cathy]
b/w "Where Are You?" In July 1961, the rights to this record were sold to Vee-Jay. Vee-Jay released it (as "Found My Love") later that month on Vee-Jay # 395. "I Found My Love" was also released on FELLATIO (# 201),

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY JEFF
Leon Peels & Lolly Vegas (BMG): That's All It Took - Recorded Circa 1964; Released Circa 1989 Relic Audio LP 5064 ("Lovers Island (Audio Arts Presents Leon Peels And The Blue Jays With The Hi-Tensions)") [Last played 11/2/17; at Request of Barb]
This Relic LP features Leon Peels with his groups, the Blue Jays (8 recordings) and the Hi-Tensions (4 recordings), along with 2 recordings by Leon with the Lolly Vegas and 2 solo efforts by Leon.

The "Lolly Vegas" appear to have been a Los Angeles (CA) group (consisting of the Vegas Brothers (Lolly & Pat) plus a 3rd unnamed singer) that did some session work as backup singers in the mid-1960s.  

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY TOMMY TUNES
Steve Gibson & Original Red Caps (BMGS): Where Are You? - September 1959 Casa Blanca 5505 ($125) [Last played 8/14/14; at Request of Tommy Tunes]
b/w "San Antone Rose." Masters sold to the Hunt label; Hunt reissued them in October 1959 on Hunt # 330.

The only known members on this recording are Steve Gibson (Bass) & George Tinley (Lead).

The Red Caps/Five Red Caps were one of the most prolific and long-lived groups of the 1940s and 1950s. They had releases on many labels, using many names. See Marv Goldberg's article on the group for a complete discography of all their recordings under all their names.

Here is my attempt to provide a discography of their released singles (1940 - 1962):
1940: 2 on AMMOR as by the Four Toppers
1943: 8 on BEACON as the Five Red Caps
1944: 10 on BEACON as the Five Red Caps; 1 on JOE DAVIS as Bon Bon & the Red Caps Trio
1945: 2 on JOE DAVIS as the Red Caps Trio; 12 on JOE DAVIS as the Five Red Caps; 7 on JOE DAVIS as Bon Bon & the Red Caps Trio; 1 on SAVOY as the Toppers; 3 on DAVIS as the Five Red Caps: 5 on JOE DAVIS as Bon Bon & the Park Avenue Trio; 2 on JOE DAVIS as the Magnolia Five
1946: 3 on DAVIS as the Five Red Caps; 1 on JOE DAVIS as Bon Bon & the Park Avenue Trio; 2 on DAVIS as Bon Bon & the Park Avenue Trio; 1 on BEACON as the Five Red Caps

1947: 4 on MERCURY as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 1 on DAVIS as Bon Bon & the Red Caps Trio; 2 on BEACON as the Red Caps Trio; 2 on BEACON as Bon Bon & the Park Avenue Trio; 1 on BEACON as Bon Bon & the Red Caps Trio; 1 on SAVOY as the Toppers

1948: 5 on MERCURY as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 1 on CELEBRITY as Bon Bon & the Red Caps Trio; 1 on BEACON as the Five Red Caps; 1 on REGENT as Steve Gibson & the Toppers; 3 on MGM as the Five Red Caps

1949: 1 on BOURNE MUSIC CO. as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 2 on MERCURY as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 1 on REGENT as Steve Gibson & the Toppers
1950: 4 on MERCURY as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 1 on RCA VICTOR as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1951: 4 on RCA VICTOR as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1952: 3 on RCA VICTOR as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1953: 1 on RCA VICTOR as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1954: 1 on MERCURY as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 1 on JAY-DEE as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1955: 4 on RCA VICTOR as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1956: 2 on ABC-PARAMOUNT as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1957: 4 on ABC-PARAMOUNT as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1958: 2 on HI LO as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps

1959: 1 on ROSE as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 2 on HUNT as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 1 on CASA BLANCA as Steve Gibson & the Original Red Caps

1960: 1 on STAGE as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps; 1 on ABC-PARAMOUNT as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps
1961: 1 on ABC-PARAMOUNT as Damita Jo

1962: 1 on BAND BOX as Steve Gibson & the Red Caps

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY NAN
Dominoes (BMG): I Am With You - Recorded May 24, 1951; Released July 1951 Federal 12039 ($300) [Last played 3/8/18; at Request of Barb]
b/w "Weeping Willow Blues." Members of the NYC group on this record: William "Bill" Brown (Bass), William Joseph Lamont (Baritone), Clyde Lensley McPhatter (Lead Tenor), Billy Ward (Baritone; Pianist; Arranger) & Charlie White (2nd Tenor). The lead was shared by William "Bill" Brown & Clyde Lensley McPhatter.

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY ART S
Mills Brothers (BMG): St. Louis Blues - Recorded April 14, 1932; Released June 24, 1932 Brunswick 6330 (78 RPM)
b/w "Sweet Sue - Just You." The classic Mills Brothers were DONALD F. MILLS (1st Tenor), HARRY FLOOD MILLS (Baritone), HERBERT BOWLES MILLS (2nd Tenor), JOHN CHARLES MILLS, JR. (Bass) & JOHN H. MILLS, SR. (Bass).

The "Brothers" had 19 singles released on the Brunswick label: 2 in 1931, 9 in 1932, 4 in 1933, 3 in 1934 & 1 reissue in 1947. This was their 6th on the label.

They also had 239 singles released on other labels: 8 on Banner (1934), 2 on Conqueror (1934), 136 on Decca (6 in 1934, 3 in 1935, 2 in 1936, 4 in 1937, 4 in 1938, 5 in 1939, 7 in 1940, 8 in 1941, 5 in 1942, 1 in 1944, 1 in 1945, 10 in 1946, 7 in 1947, 6 in 1948, 11 in 1949, 15 in 1950, 8 in 1951, 7 in 1952, 5 in 1953, 4 in 1954, 7 in 1955, 5 in 1956, 3 in 1957, 1 in 1958 & 1 in 1961), 35 on Dot (3 in 1958, 4 in 1959, 3 in 1960, 2 in 1961, 2 in 1962, 2 in 1963, 4 in 1964, 4 in 1965, 1 in 1966, 1 in 1967, 3 in 1968, 5 in 1969, 1 in 1970), 1 on Gennett (circa 1931), 2 on Harmony (1949), 7 on MCA (5 in 1973 & 2 in 1980), 8 on Melotone (1934), 8 on Oriole (1934), 5 on Paramount (1 in 1970, 2 in 1971 & 2 in 1972), 8 on Perfect (1934), 10 on Ranwood (1 in 1973, 5 in 1974, 3 in 1975 & 1 in 1976), 8 on Romeo (1934), and 1 on Shag Archives (1993).

In addition over 1,000 of their recordings appeared on transcription discs, LPs and EPs.

The above numbers are for recordings only for which the Mills Brothers were the main artist credited on the label. They also shared label credit on singles recorded with LOUIS ARMSTRONG (6 on Decca: 1 in 1937, 1 in 1938, 2 in 1940, 1 in 1953 & 1 in 1961), BING CROSBY (3 on BRUNSWICK: 2 in1932 & 1 in 1933, 3 on COLUMBIA: 2 in1944 & 1 in 1947 and 1 on HARMONY in1952), ROY FELTON (1 on DECCA in 1940), ELLA FITZGERALD (3 on DECCA: 1 in 1937, 1 in 1948 & 1 in 1949), AL JOLSON (1 on DECCA in 1949) and PEGGY LEE (1 on DECCA in 1954). (They also shared label credit with Count Basie and Louis Jordan on a number of LPs.)

REQUEST SUBMITTED BY TONY-BKLYN_VINYL
20th Avenue Records/A&G Records, Brooklyn (NY): Lysabe@...

Ben Smith Quartet (BMGS): You Are Closer to My Heart (Than My Shadow) - Recorded 1949; Released 1950 Abbey 3012 (78 RPM)
b/w Nellie Hill & Ben Smith Quartet: "Blues Got Me Walking, Talking To Myself."

Members of the NYC-based group on this recording: GEORGE ARTHUR "ARTIE" LONG (Drums), LENNIE SCOTT (Guitar), BEN SMITH (Baritone Sax) & EDWARD SNEAD (Bassist). The Lead Vocalist was George Arthur "Artie" Long.

"You Are Closer To My Heart" was written by group member Edward Snead. The song was covered by the Shadows in February on Lee (# 202) and by the Delta Rhythm Boys in March 1950 on Decca (#48140 ).

The Ben Smith Quartet had 6 releases on Abbey (4 in 1949, 1 in 1950 & 1 in 1951); this was the 5th.

They also had 1 release on Regent (1951), 1 on Acorn (1951), 5 on Coleman (early 1950s; 1 as by the Ben Smith Quintet), 2 on Columbia (1950) & 1 on Savoy (1951).

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY ANGELO POMPEO
Five Keys (BMG): These Foolish Things - Recorded March 4, 1952; Released May 1953 Aladdin 3190 ($3,500 [Last played 12/13/12; at Request of Tony-Bklyn_Vinyl]
b/w "Lonesome Old Story." Members of the Newport News (VA) group on this recording: Ripley Ingram (Tenor), Maryland W. Pierce (2nd Tenor), Dickie Smith (2nd Tenor; Baritone), Bernard L. West (Bass) & Rudolph "Rudy" West (Tenor). The lead was shared by Dickie Smith & Ripley Ingram.

This was the 11th of the Five Keys' 17 releases on the Aladdin label (not including later pressings of previously unreleased recordings): 3 in 1951, 5 in 1952 (+1 scheduled for release and given a record number, but not issued), 5 in 1953, 2 in 1954, 1 in 1955, & 1 in 1956.

Five Keys (BMG): When You're Gone - Recorded March 11, 1953; Released 1971 Aladdin 3175 ($8) [Last played 2/11/16; at Request of Angelo Pompeo]
b/w "White Cliffs Of Dover." Aladdin # 3175 is a counterfeit collector pressing. It was the only way that the recordings on the 45 were available at that time. In fact, many did not know of the existence of the recordings before the counterfeit pressing.

Members of the Newport News (VA) group on this recording: Ulysses K. "Ronnie" Hicks (Tenor), Ripley Ingram (Tenor), Maryland W. Pierce (2nd Tenor), Dickie Smith (2nd Tenor; Baritone) & Bernard L. West (Bass). The lead was sung by Dickie Smith.

The Five Keys' recordings are among the finest vocal group harmony recordings ever made; their Aladdin recordings are "the best of the best."

The "Keys" had 17 releases on the Aladdin label (not including later pressings of previously unreleased recordings): 3 in 1951, 5 in 1952 (+1 scheduled for release and given a record number, but not issued), 5 in 1953, 2 in 1954, 1 in 1955 & 1 in 1956.

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY JEANIE
Orioles (BMG): I Cover The Waterfront - Recorded July 1948; Released June 1953 Jubilee 5120 (Red Wax $750; Black Wax $300) [Last played 5/16/13; at Request of Tom V]
b/w "One More Time." The Baltimore (MD) group on this recording consisted of Lloyd Thomas "Tommy" Gaither (Tenor; Guitarist), George Nelson (Baritone), Johnny Reed (Bass; Bassist), Alexander Sharp (1st Tenor) & Earlington Carl Tilghman aka Sonny Til (Lead Tenor; 2nd Tenor).

The Orioles had 44 singles released on the Jubilee label: 2 in 1948; 7 in 1949; 8 in 1950; 6 in 1951; 5 in 1952; 6 in 1953; 6 in 1954; 3 in 1955; 1 in 1956. ("I Cover The Waterfront" was their 32nd on the label.)

Orioles (BMG): I'm Just A Fool In Love - August 1951 Jubilee 5061 ($800) [Last played 5/1/14; at Request of Angelo Pompeo]
b/w "Hold Me Squeeze Me." Members of the Baltimore (MD) group on this recording: Charlie Harris (Pianist), George Nelson (Baritone), Alexander Sharp (1st Tenor), Earlington Carl Tilghman aka Sonny Til (Lead Tenor; 2nd Tenor) & Ralph "Oopie" Williams (Tenor; Guitarist).

The Orioles had 44 singles released on the Jubilee label: 2 in 1948; 7 in 1949; 8 in 1950; 6 in 1951; 5 in 1952; 6 in 1953; 6 in 1954; 3 in 1955; 1 in 1956. ("I'm Just A Fool In Love" was their 21st on the label.)

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY ART CT
Castelles (BMG): Baby Can't You See - July 1954 Grand 109 ($1,000) [Last played 8/29/19; at Request of Art S]
b/w "Over A Cup Of Coffee." This was the 4th of the Philadelphia (PA) group's 7 releases on Grand: 2 in 1953, 3 in 1954, 1 in 1955 & 1 in 1956. They also had a release on Atco in May 1956.

Members on this recording: Octavius Anthony (1st Tenor), Ronald Everett (Bass), George "Pepi" Grant (Tenor), William Taylor (Baritone), & Frank Vance (2nd Tenor). The lead was sung by Octavius Anthony.

Castelles (BMG): Do You Remember - Recorded January 11, 1954' Released January 1954 Grand 105 ($500) [Last played 3/10/16; at Request of Art NJ]
b/w "If You Were The Only Girl In The World." This was the 3rd of the Philadelphia (PA) group's 7 releases on Grand: 2 in 1953, 3 in 1954, 1 in 1955 & 1 in 1956. T
hey also had a release on Atco in May 1956.

Members on this recording: Octavius Anthony (1st Tenor), Ronald Everett (Bass), George "Pepi" Grant (Tenor), William Taylor (Baritone), & Frank Vance (2nd Tenor). The lead was sung by George "Pepi" Grant.

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY LOLLIPOP
Four Blazes (BMG): Ella Louise - Recorded February 3, 1953; Released September 1953 United 158 (Red Wax $75)
b/w "Perfect Woman." Members of he Chicago (IL) group on his recording: THOMAS "MARY-JO" BRADEN (Tenor; Bassist), WILLIAM "SHORTY" HILL (Vocals; Guitarist), PAUL LINDSLEY "JELLY" HOLT (Vocals; Drummer) & FLOYD McDANIEL (2nd Tenor; Guitarist).
Thomas Braden was the Lead Vocalist.

The Four Blazes had 6 releases. All were on the United label: 3 in 1952, 2 in 1953 & 1 in 1954. This was the 5th.

The group, as the Blasers, had a 1955 release on United and, as "Mary-Jo" Braden & the Flames, they had a 1954 release on United. They were very closely related (3 common members) to the Five Blazes on Aristocrat. (Two releases in 1947.) 

Twilighters (BMG): Please Tell Me Your Mine - 1953 Marshall 702 (Dark Red Wax $2,000; Black Wax $200) [Last played 7/4/19; at Request of Rox]
b/w "Wondering." Members of the Washington (DC) group: Deroy Green (2nd Tenor), Melvin Jennings (Baritone), William Pierce (1st Tenor), Robert Richardson (Tenor) & Earl Williams (Bass). The lead was sung by Robert Richardson.

This was the group's only commercial release. In 1973, a previously unissued 1954 recording was released for the collector market on the Roadhouse label (# 1014): "I Wonder Who's Calling Her Now."

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY ROX
Billy Storm (BMG): A Kiss From Your Lips - July 1961 Atlantic 2112 ($20) [Last played 5/9/19; at Request of Doctor C]
b/w "Honey Love." In the 1980s, a counterfeit Atlantic 45 RPM EP was pressed containing both sides of the original Atlantic 45 plus 2 additional recordings by Billy Storm from another of his Atlantic releases. The maker of the EP issued it as by "Billy Storm & the Storms."
Billy had 3 releases on Atlantic; 1 in 1960 & 2 in 1962. (All were produced by Phil Spector.) This was the last of the 3.

Billy sang with many Los Angeles (CA) groups including the Sabers, the Chavelles, the Valiants, the Untouchables, the Electras, the Freedoms, the Gents, Africa, Billy Fortune & the Squires, Billy Storm & the Squires, the Charades, the Nuggets (RCA Victor,) & the Brothers And Sisters Of Los Angeles.

Billy Storm was aka Billy Jones & Billy Fortune. His real name is William Hamlin Spicer.

Catalinas (IMG): Give Me Your Love - June 1958 Little 811 ($300) [Last played 6/6/19; at Request of Fran]
b/w Little 812: "Castle Of Love." (Also released on September 14, 1959 on Okeh (# 7123) with group name changed to the Buddies.)

Members of the New Haven (CT) group on this recording: Jimmy Colwell, Artie DeNicholas, Tommy Juliano, Johnny Kunz & Johnny Luth.

This was the Catalinas' only commercial release. In 1974, a number of previously unreleased 1957 recordings by the group surfaced and were pressed for the collectors' market on five 45s on the Jayne label.

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY BILLY
Delcos (BMG): Still Miss You So - November 1963 Sound Stage 7 2515 ($15) [Last played 1/4/18; at Request of Billy]
b/w "Just Ask." Members of the South Bend (IN) group: Richard Greene (2nd Tenor), Glenn Madison (1st Tenor; Baritone), Otis Smith (Bass), Peter Woodard (Tenor) & Ralph Woods (Tenor; Baritone; Bass). The lead was sung by Richard Greene.
Their only other single was released in October 1962 on Ebony (# 01): "Arabia." In 2001, Ed Engel released a CD of their previously unissued material: Crystal Ball # 1035: (“The Delcos - Boy Could They Sing.”)

Tonettes (WFG): Howie - January 1958 Doe 101 ($75) [Last played 12/26/13; at Request of Brian UK]
b/w "Oh What A Baby." Masters were sold to ABC Paramount, which released them on ABC Paramount (# 9905) on February 25, 1958.

Members: Josephine Allen, Diana Sanchez (Lead) & Sylvia Sanchez. The girls lived on Claremont Parkway in the Bronx (NY) and had their 1st release ("Angel Of Romance") in October 1957 on the Apollo label (# 517) as the Claremonts.
The Tonettes had 1 more release, also on Doe, later in 1958. They are best-known as the uncredited group that backed Vince Castro (Sylvia and Diana's cousin) on his hit: "Bong Bong (I Love You Madly)."

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY NANCY
Orioles (BMG): Count Your Blessings Instead Of Sheep - Recorded October 15, 1954; Released December 1954 Jubilee 5172 ($75) [Last played 2/25/16; at Request of Angelo Pompeo]
b/w "Runaround." Members of the Baltimore (MD) group on this recording: Gregory "Killer" Carroll (2nd Tenor), Charlie Harris (Pianist), Alexander Sharp (1st Tenor), Earlington Carl Tilghman aka Sonny Til (Lead Tenor; 2nd Tenor) & Ralph "Oopie" Williams (Tenor; Guitarist).

The Orioles had 44 singles released on the Jubilee label: 2 in 1948; 7 in 1949; 8 in 1950; 6 in 1951; 5 in 1952; 6 in 1953; 6 in 1954; 3 in 1955; 1 in 1956. ("Count Your Blessings Instead Of Sheep" was their 40th on the label.)

Pageants (WCG): Why Did You Go - 1960 Goldisc 3013 ($500) [Last played 7/21/16; at Request of Freddie]
b/w "Happy Together." Group's only release.

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY JOE S
Mellokings (WMG): Once On A Windy Day - 1960 Herald LP 1013 ("The Mellokings Sing")
Members of the Mount Vernon (NY) group on his recording: Jerry Scholl (1st Tenor), Bobby Scholl (Lead Tenor), Louis Jannacone & Tony Pinto.

The Mellokings (sometimes spelled Mello Kings or Mello-Kings) had 10 singles released on the Herald label. Their 1st, "Tonite, Tonite," was released twice in April 1957; the 1st as by the Mellotones.

After Herald, the group had a mediocre release on Lescay (in 1962).

Velons (BMG): How Sentimental Can I Be - Circa 2007 BJM 0009 ($15 est.)
b/w "Was It A Dream." The Washington (DC) group had 4 singles and 1 LP releases on the BJM label. They also had 4 singles and 1 LP on Maxi, 1 single on Star Fire and 1 LP on Solid Smoke. 

REQUESTS SUBMITTED BY VIC
Orioles (BMG): For All We Know - Recorded October 1956; Released November 1956 Vee-Jay 228 ($25) [Last played 8/17/17; at Request of Freddie]
b/w "Never Leave Me Baby." The label reads "Orioles" but in reality it is Sonny Til backed by the Regals (Aladdin and Atlantic.)

Members on this recording: William Adams (Baritone), Aaron "Tex" Cornelius (Tenor), Paul Griffin (Pianist), Jerry Holeman aka Jerry Rodriguez (Tenor; Baritone), Albert "Diz" Russell (Baritone) & Earlington Carl Tilghman aka Sonny Til (Lead Tenor; 2nd Tenor).

This was the 2nd of the group's 3 singles on the Vee-Jay label.

Spices (BMG): Tell Me Little Girl - March 1959 Carlton 480 ($750) [Last played 1/14/16; at Request of Eddie]
b/w "Money, Fortune And Fame." Group's only release.

CLOSER
Four Tones (BMG): Goodnight Baby, Goodnight - 1941 Make Believe Ballroom (No #) (78 RPM) [Last played 2/4/16; as Closer]
b/w "Someone's Rocking My Dreamboat." Both sides were re-recorded and released on Bluebird (# 11408) in January 1942.

Members on this recoding: Lucius "Dusty" "Pappy" Brooks (Bass; Bassist, Pianist), Leon Buck (1st Tenor; Guitarist), Rudolph Hunter (Baritone; Drummer) & John Porter (Tenor; Guitarist, Pianist).

The Four Tones also had releases on D&S (1939), Ebony (1941), La Marr's "Star" (1944), A-1 (1944), Preview (1945), Memo (1945), Majestic (1950), Columbia (1950-51), Bullet (1951), ABC-Eagle (1951), DooTone (1952), and Sun (1953).

The Make Believe Ballroom label was owned by Leon and Otis René. During the 1940s, the René brothers also established 2 major R&B labels: Exclusive (1944 to 1950) and Excelsior (1944 to 1951). The Los Angeles (CA) labels had their own pressing plant, but when the format changed from 78 RPM to 45 RPM, they could not press the new speed, and both labels went out-of-business.

Leon René then (in 1951) established the Class record label, with his son, Rafael "Googie" René (and Preston Love.) In 1958, he set up the Rendezvous label.
Leon Rene was also a songwriter (with his brother often sharing writer credit.) He wrote many songs including "When The Swallows Come Back To Capistrano," "I Sold My Heart To The Junkman," and most significantly "Gloria" (which would later be recorded by Johnny Moore's Three Blazers, the Mills Brothers, the Four Gabriels, the Cadillacs and well over 100 other vocal groups.)
---------------------------------------
Release and Recording Dates of Vocal Group Recordings, Group Composition, Group Members and Parts Sung, Per Disco-File, 6th Edition, by Ferdie Gonzalez. Additional information from the Vocal Group Harmony Web Site (Vocalgroupharmony.com) and Marv Goldberg's Yesterday's Memories Web Site (uncamarvy.com/marvart.html).