[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 7

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 09:24:27 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <jfmueller@...>
To: socialpsy-teach@...
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 7

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 15, No. 7

March 29, 2016

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Examples

         Gender & Culture: Males are superior

         http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2016/03/20/3761948/tennis-ceo-makes-waves-with-sexist-remar
ks/

         Professional tennis version:  A tennis CEO claims women are just riding men's coattails.

         Prejudice: Informal racial profiling

         http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2016/03/03/3756137/kam-chancellor-racial-profiling/

         "NFL star visits gym he wants to buy, employees call the cops on him"

Topic Resources

Aggression/Prejudice: Half of all police-related killings involve people with
disabilities

http://www.rudermanfoundation.org/blog/in-the-media/media-missing-the-story-half-of-all-recent-high-
profile-police-related-killings-are-people-with-disabilities

According to a new report by the Ruderman Family Foundation

Aggression/Prejudice: Hunting and killing of albinos in Malawi in subsaharan Africa

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2016/03/04/3756677/malawi-albino/

Their bones are believed by some to have magical properties.

Conformity: What are the most and least acceptable white lies?

http://whitelies.directv.com/

A survey conducted by Directv asked individuals to rate how severe certain white lies
are.  I'm telling you the truth.  Go look for yourself.

Gender & Culture: Gender equality in the European Union

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/gender-equality/

From the European Commission, this site reviews efforts to increase gender equality in
the European Union.

Gender & Culture: When a Lysol douche was believed to be an effective contraceptive

http://www.motherjones.com/media/2012/02/when-women-used-lysol-birth-control

Really disturbing ads for the product

Gender & Culture/Prejudice: Women make less than male coworkers with same title

https://www.glassdoor.com/research/studies/gender-pay-gap/

http://www.iwpr.org/publications/pubs/the-gender-wage-gap-2015-earnings-differences-by-race-and-ethn
icity/

The first link is to the title story.  The second link is to a report on last year's wage
gap in the U.S., which has widened even further.

Methods: "Under the hood of Mechanical Turk"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2016/march-16/under-the-hood-of-
mechanical-turk.html

A good overview of current issues regarding the use of Mechanical Turk as a research
tool, including cost and representativeness of the sample.

Persuasion: "When expert advice creates analysis paralysis"

http://blog.influenceatwork.com/when-expert-advice-creates-analysis-paralysis

In his Inside Influence Report, subscriber Robert Cialdini provides some theory-based
strategies for avoiding analysis paralysis.

Prejudice:  American Indians in Children's Literature

http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/

This is a blog that follows and comments on "indigenous peoples in children's and young
adult books, the school curriculum, popular culture, and society."

Prejudice: "How gifted and talented programs reinforce class and race inequities"

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2016/03/28/3762613/gifted-talented-programs/

A good question/debate for your students:  Are gifted programs a good idea?

Prejudice: "Where we lives affects our bias against mixed-race individuals"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/where-we-live-affects-our-bias-against-m
ixed-race-individuals.html

"Whites living in areas where they are less exposed to people of other races have a harder time
categorizing mixed-race individuals than do Whites with greater interracial exposure, a condition
that is associated with greater prejudice against mixed-race individuals, a new
experimental study shows."

Technology in Teaching

Images

General:  Images and Videos

http://www.uen.org/general_learner/multimedia_resources.shtml

Multimedia Resources for Educators and Students includes well-organized links to many
freely available images, videos, audio sources, multimedia presentations and more.

Video

Attraction & Relationships: Polyamorous relationships (14:50)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/polyamorous-openminded-campaign-accept-love_us_56cf514be4b0bf0da
b313457

Polyamorous people explain what that means and what their lives are like.

Gender & Culture:  Men are just too emotional to be president (4:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0HXOWif9_k

A humorous video from Samantha Bee's TV show Full Frontal

Gender & Culture: 65 years of women on TV in 2 minutes (2:04)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/watch-65-years-of-women-on-tv-in-2-minutes_us_56f4387ae4b0a37218
196a33

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in
their courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it
here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources
you would like examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips?
Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to
send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me
(jfmueller@...) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
jfmueller@...
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2016.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial
purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology