[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 6

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:48:04 -0600
From: Jon Mueller <jfmueller@...>
To: socialpsy-teach@...
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 6

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 15, No. 6

February 29, 2016

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

TGILY!  That's, thank goodness it's leap year!  Here's your February 29th edition.

Subscriber Silvia Mari has the following request:  "I would like more suggestions on how to teach a course
in Psychology of Attitude (classic and basic themes), with appealing examples about use of technology to
graduate students with different backgrounds (some of them don’t have a major -and sometimes neither a
minor- in social psychology…)."  Send me any suggestions and I will pass them along to Silvia and to the
rest of you.  Thanks.

Activities and Exercises

        Helping: "Why we fail to empathize -- and what we can do about it"

        http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2016/march-16/teaching-curren
t-directions-in-psychological-science-28.html#empathy

Examples

         Prejudice/Social Judgment: Stereotyping

         http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/four-vietnamese-students-yearbook-prank_us_56b4d556e4b04f9b5
7d956d9

         They're all alike

Topic Resources

Aggression/Gender & Culture: Responses to "The Hunting Ground" and rape culture on campus

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2016/02/08/3741912/campus-sexual-assault-denier/

"The Hunting Ground" is a 2015 documentary on universities' handling of rape and other sexual
violence

Attitudes & Behaviors: 30% U.S. teachers tell students that climate change is "likely due to
natural causes"

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2016/02/12/3748872/climate-change-teachers-survey/

From a survey just published in Science

Attitudes & Behaviors/Persuasion: In denial of climate change, facts don't matter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/02/22/science-confirms-it-denial-of-climat
e-change-is-all-about-the-politics/

According to this study from the University of Queensland in Australia

Attitudes & Behaviors/Persuasion: Facts vs. Identity: The backfire effect

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/02/why-is-it-so-hard-to-persuade-people.html

This research finds that if you challenge a strongly held belief central to a person's
identity with facts, it can backfire.

Attraction & Relationships: "What the 'ideal' man's body looks like in 19 countries"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/what-the-ideal-mans-body-looks-like-in-19-countries_us_56c5d65de4b08f
fac127c485

Plenty of examples like this of women's bodies -- now it's men's turn.

Conformity: "Investigating social contagion with digital tools"

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2016/march-16/investigating-social-co
ntagion-with-digital-tools.html

Recent study finds that the memory of one individual can indirectly influence that of another
via shared social connections."

Gender & Culture: The Girl Zone

http://thinkprogress.org/world/2016/02/10/3746372/egypt-women-safe-spaces/

Egyptian women find a safe place -- the Girl Zone -- "where they can gather and express
themselves without judgement or threat from society at large."

Gender & Culture: "By preschool boys and girls are already segregated"

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2016/02/29/3749802/gender-play-preschool/

Gender & Culture:  Barbie's body gets a makeover!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/barbie-curvy-petite-tall-body-types-mattel_us_56aa18d0e4b0016489226bd
4

This entry may sound familiar... because it is.  I sent it out in the last issue but with the
wrong link.  So, here is the right link.  Next issue I am going to mix up all the links with
all the topics and see if you can match them up.  Sounds like fun!

Persuasion:  The shape of a company logo matters!

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/minds-business/the-shape-of-a-logo-has-a-powerful-impa
ct-on-consumers120911.html

Prejudice: Weapon bias shows up even when viewing a 5-year old

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/releases/faces-of-black-children-as-young-as-five-evok
e-negative-biases.html

Prejudice: "The disturbing rise of Islamophobia in America"

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/10/3748058/chapel-hill-anniversary/

Prejudice: U.S. military: Wearing a hijab is passive terrorism

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/24/3753167/wearing-hijab-equals-passive-terrorism-whatever-that-
means/

From a policy paper released by the U.S. military

Prejudice: The myth of Black homophobia

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/02/26/3753739/prri-black-homophobia-myth/

Prejudice: 19th-century campaign to declare Mormons "non-White"

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/02/12/3748945/when-mormons-werent-white/

Social Judgment: Teen criminals better at detecting lying in their peers

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/02/teenage-offenders-are-highly-adept-at.html
50% accuracy (chance) for non-offenders and 67% accuracy for offenders

Technology in Teaching

Images

General:  Image optimizer

http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

A nice, free, online site to resize, compress, and optimize your images

Persuasion:  World War II Posters

http://www.library.northwestern.edu/libraries-collections/evanston-campus/government-information/world-wa
r-ii-poster-collection#modal-show

A collection of 338 posters used by the U.S. government to promote support for war efforts

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their
courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get
some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you
would like examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology
tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your
requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@...)
or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
jfmueller@...
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2016.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes.
Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology