+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 52, June 19, 2019.

David Dillard

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 52, June 19, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 52 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.
03: DRUPAL.
04: EVALUATION & TESTING.
05: EVENTS.
06: HTML.
07: JAVASCRIPT.
08: MISCELLANEOUS.
09: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Designing and Coding for Low Vision (Video)
By Mallory van Achterberg.
"Mallory van Achterberg, senior accessibility consultant for Tenon.io,
discusses the dos and don'ts of designing and coding for low vision…"
https://www.technica11y.org/designing-and-coding-for-low-vision

A11yNYC June 13 2019 - Data Visualization with Doug Schepers (Video)
By Doug Schepers.
"Data visualization doesn't have to be visual! Don't assume that a
chart or diagram can't be made accessible…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmCC9XlaB9E

The Anatomy of Accessible Forms: Required Form Fields
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"…There are multiple ways of providing this cue that a particular form
field is required. Below, we will explore each of the methods…"
https://www.deque.com/blog/anatomy-of-accessible-forms-required-form-fields/

The Anatomy of Accessible Forms: Best Practices
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"…In today’s post, we will go through all the ingredients of creating
an accessible form that provides the best user experience for all
users…"
https://www.deque.com/blog/anatomy-of-accessible-forms-best-practices/

Notes From the A11y Underground #2
By Steve Faulkner.
"Things that caught my interest since Notes from the a11y underground #1…"
https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2019/06/notes-from-the-a11y-underground-2/

How to Make a Website Accessible For All [With 6 Core Steps]
By Keaton Robbins.
"Are you feeling the weight of having to make your website accessible
to those with disabilities but don't know where to begin…"
https://www.voices.com/blog/website-accessible/

Accessibility and Web of Things (WoT)
By Joshue O Connor.
"The following are items suggested by Joshue O Connor (W3C/WAI), for
further technical discussion within the Accessible Platform
Architecture Working Group (APA) and the Research Questions
Accessibility Task Force (RQTF) around the Web of Things (WoT) space
and its potential need to support accessibility use cases and
requirements for people with disabilities…"
https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Wot_technical

Why Would a Screen Reader User Have a Braille Display?
By Bruce Lawson.
"…each person has their own reasons for choosing their assistive
technologies. Accessibility isn't a technological problem to be
solved. It's an essential part of the human condition: we all have
different needs and abilities…"
https://www.brucelawson.co.uk/2019/why-would-a-screen-reader-user-have-a-braille-display/

Colleges Improve Website Accessibility as They are Defendants in Lawsuits
By Matt Steecker.
"Several New York universities and colleges are improving the
accessibility of their websites to individuals with disabilities while
facing lawsuits alleging their websites do not comply with standards
from the Americans With Disabilities Act…"
https://www.ithacajournal.com/story/news/local/2019/06/13/colleges-improve-websites-they-subjects-lawsuits/1302352001/

Domino's Files Petition for US Supreme Court Review of Unfavorable
Website Access Decision
By Minh N. Vu and Kristina M. Launey.
"Domino's filed its petition for writ of certiorari with the U.S.
Supreme Court…"
https://www.adatitleiii.com/2019/06/dominos-files-petition-for-us-supreme-court-review-of-unfavorable-website-access-decision/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Relearn CSS Layout: Every Layout
By Heydon Pickering and Andy Bell.
"…If you find yourself wrestling with CSS layout, it's likely you're
making decisions for browsers they should be making themselves.
Through a series of simple, composable layouts, Every Layout will
teach you how to better harness the built-in algorithms that power
browsers and CSS…"
https://every-layout.dev/

Grid, Content Re-ordering and Accessibility
By Chris Coyier.
"…flexbox and grid also allow you to muck it up…"
https://css-tricks.com/grid-content-re-ordering-and-accessibility/

CSS Day 2019: Some Things I Learned
By Hidde de Vries.
"Last week I joined over 400 web nerds at CSS Day 2019, which took
place once again in the lovely Compagnietheater in Amsterdam. These
are some of the things I learned…"
https://hiddedevries.nl/en/blog/2019-06-18-css-day-2019-some-things-i-learned

The State of CSS 2019
By Sacha Greif.
"We surveyed over 11,000 CSS developers. Here's what we learned…"
https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/the-state-of-css-2019-survey-results-are-live/

Inspired Design Decisions: Avaunt Magazine
By Andy Clarke.
"Thanks to technologies like CSS Grid and Flexbox, there’s been a
resurgence of interest in creative design and art direction…"
https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2019/06/inspired-design-decisions-avaunt-magazine/

Refactoring (the Way We Talk About) CSS (Video)
By Rachel Andrew.
"Rachel Andrew has been writing CSS for 20 years, and teaching people
the things she has learned for almost as long. Since the early days of
CSS, and certainly since 'CSS for Layout' became a thing, we've been
teaching CSS in pretty much the same way. Here is a block thing, here
is an inline thing, this is the Box Model ... and here is this weird
jumping through hoops that makes a layout. It's time for a change…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqYWDGzhZKM

+03: DRUPAL.

Personalization and a Panel at DrupalNorth
By Mike Gifford.
"DrupalNorth was held in Montreal this year…"
https://medium.com/openconcept-stories/personalization-and-a-panel-at-drupalnorth-5db4d5b77eb2

CMS vs. Headless CMS A11y Throwdown (Video)
By Caitlin Cashin.
"…how accessibility is impacted by using a CMS vs. a headless CMS and
what are the pros/cons of each when it comes to creating accessible
sites and applications. We have Rachel Cherry from WPCampus, Preston
So from Gatsby, Carie Fisher from Deque Systems, and Mike Gifford from
Open Concept participating with Caitlin Cashin from Deque Systems
moderating…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lrmC8ZIGPY

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

4 Steps to Field Studies with Users (Video)
By Kim Flaherty.
"Customer visits and other field studies to observe users in their
natural habitat are one of the most important user research methods.
This video covers the 4 basic steps to prepare and carry out
ethnographic-style research, preferably early in the UX design
process."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/4-steps-field-studies/

Net Promoter Score (NPS) Metrics are Not Enough
By Gerry McGovern.
"Anything that focuses on customers is heading in the right direction…"
http://gerrymcgovern.com/net-promoter-score-nps-metrics-are-not-enough/

Validation - A Key Step to Accessibility
By Ryan Pugh.
"…Just because the document is 'compliant' and will pass an
accessibility checker does not mean the document is usable for someone
using a screen reader…"
https://equidox.co/blog/validation-a-key-step-to-accessibility/

+05: EVENTS.

How to Test the Accessibility of Your Mobile Websites and Apps
June 25, 2019.
Online
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/webinar-how-to-test-the-accessibility-of-your-mobile-websites-and-apps-tickets-61964674008

The Future of Automated Accessibility Testing Tools
July 2, 2019.
Online
https://groups.drupal.org/node/535144

Seattle Interactive Conference
October 17-18, 2019.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
https://www.seattleinteractive.com/

An Event Apart Denver
October 28-30, 2019.
Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
https://aneventapart.com/event/denver-2019

Adobe MAX
November 2-6, 2019.
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
https://max.adobe.com/

Web Summit
November 4-7, 2019.
Lisbon, Portugal
https://websummit.com/

World Usability Day
November 14, 2019.
Everywhere
https://worldusabilityday.org/

Accessing Higher Ground
November 18-22, 2019.
Westminster, Colorado, U.S.A.
https://accessinghigherground.org/

OZeWAI
November 21-23, 2019.
Sydney, Australia
http://ozewai.org/2018/

+06: HTML.

Scraping Burned Toast
By Adrian Roselli.
"Google engineers have proposed a new HTML element, <toast> or
<std-toast>, that is a container for presenting brief or simple
notifications to users…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/06/scraping-burned-toast.html

Short Note on the Portal Element
By Steve Faulkner.
"There is a potential new HTML element on the scene and its name is <portal>…"
https://codepen.io/stevef/post/short-note-on-the-portals-element

How to Section Your HTML
By Daniel Tonon.
https://css-tricks.com/how-to-section-your-html/

Cards
By Heydon Pickering.
"…In this article, I'll be looking into a few permutations of a simple
card component, emphasizing a balance between sound HTML structure and
ergonomic interaction…"
https://inclusive-components.design/cards/

HTML is the Web
By Pete Lambert.
"…The lowest common denominator of the Web. The foundation. The rhythm
section. The ladyfingers in the Web trifle. It's the HTML. And it is
becoming increasingly clear to me that there's a whole swathe of
Frontend Engineers who don't know or understand the frontend-est of
frontend technologies…"
https://www.petelambert.com/journal/html-is-the-web/

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Responsible JavaScript: Part II
By Jeremy Wagner.
"Web development is hard. We don't always get it right on the first
try. Fortunately, we don't have to get everything perfect from the
start. Jeremy Wagner provides some helpful ways to start recovering
from our collective JavaScript hangover."
https://alistapart.com/article/responsible-javascript-part-2/

How to Create an Array in JavaScript
By Kirupa Chinnathambi.
"The popular way in which all the cool kids create arrays these days
is to use an open and close bracket…"
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2975734

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

AI and Disability Interview
By John Rockford.
"AXS Chat recently posted to YouTube an interview of me about my
artificial intelligence (AI) research and work for people with
disabilities…"
https://clearhelper.blog/2019/06/17/ai-and-disability-interview/

Privacy Rights and Data Collection in a Digital Economy (Senate Hearing)
By Maciej Ceglowski.
"…Because our laws frame privacy as an individual right, we don't have
a mechanism for deciding whether we want to live in a surveillance
society. Congress has remained silent on the matter…Silicon Valley
makes up its own rules…large tech companies point to our willing use
of their services as proof that people don't really care about their
privacy. But this is like arguing that inmates are happy to be in jail
because they use the prison library. Confronted with the reality of a
monitored world, people make the rational decision to make the best of
it. That is not consent…"
https://idlewords.com/talks/senate_testimony.2019.5.htm

+09: USABILITY.

Practicing What You Preach: Experimenting and Iterating in UX Research
By Meghan Wenzel.
"In the field of User Experience, design thinking, failing fast, and
iterating are popular concepts…"
https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2019/06/practicing-what-you-preach-experimenting-and-iterating-in-ux-research.php

Marking Required Fields in Forms
By Raluca Budiu.
"Using an asterisk to mark required fields is an easy way to improve
the usability of your forms. Only marking optional fields makes it
difficult for people to fill out the form."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/required-fields/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson