[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 6

David P. Dillard

*

Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:43:03 +0000
From: Jon F Mueller <jfmueller@...>
To: "socialpsy-teach@..." <socialpsy-teach@...>
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 17, No. 6

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 17, No. 6

February 27, 2018

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

 It’s the 20th anniversary of the Implicit Association Test (IAT).  Read more about it below.

Activities and Exercises

Prejudice:  “Teaching students how to celebrate racial diversity”

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in-psychological-science-45#threat

Psychology in the Courtroom:  Eyewitness testimony

https://community.macmillan.com/community/the-psychology-community/blog/2018/02/12/eyewitness-testimony-is-he-guilty -or-not-guilty

Social Judgment:  “Why people believe conspiracy theories”

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/teaching-current-directions-in-psychological-science-45#conspiracy

Does a conspiracy theory exist if no one believes it?  Just asking.

Examples

Conflict & Peacemaking:  Prisoner’s dilemma

https://twitter.com/BachmannRudi/status/965280515539554304

Topic Resources

Aggression/Attraction & Relationships: Cyberbullying – how do you measure it?

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/2/22/cyberbullying-sticks-and-stones-may-break-my-bones-but-tweet.ht ml

Attraction & Relationships:  To rekindle or not to rekindle

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/1/31/to-rekindle-or-not-to-rekindle-that-appears-to-be-selena-and.ht ml

This brief blog entry reviews some research on whether it is a good choice to try and revive an earlier relationship.

Attraction & Relationships: Most effective ways to make up

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/02/14/mens-and-womens-views-on-the-most-effective-relationship-repair-strategies/

Probably easier than rekindling

Attraction & Relationships:  Too many fish in the sea

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/2/7/too-many-fish-in-the-sea.html

Sometimes too much choice is overwhelming, particularly with online dating.  Maybe rekindling is the way to go.

Attraction & Relationships:  15 questions to evaluate your current relationship

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/2/9/15-questions-to-determine-if-your-relationship-is-hall-of-fa.htm l

Research-based questions!  Maybe no rekindling is necessary!

Attraction & Relationships:  Propinquity matters

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2018/2/27/proximity-alert.html

That’s what I just told my class.  My online class.

Attraction & Relationships:  “No, opposites do not attract”

https://theconversation.com/no-opposites-do-not-attract-88839

I can’t wait until we get this replication failure.

Gender, Genes, & Culture:  Male/female brain differences already appear at one month

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/01/31/sex-differences-in-brain-structure-are-already-apparent-at-one-month-of-age/

Gender & Culture:  “The more gender equality, the fewer women in STEM”

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/the-more-gender-equality-the-fewer-women-in-stem.html

Interesting cross-cultural research on this surprising finding

General:  Are there good sides to bad behavior?

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/probing-the-good-in-bad-behavior

This brief essay looks at research on objectification, aggression, and gossiping.

Helping:  Symbolic interactionism and the bystander effect

http://www.everydaysociologyblog.com/2018/02/what-would-you-do.html

A sociologist applies the theory of symbolic interactionism to this effect.

Helping:  “Could a more individualistic world also be a more altruistic one?”

https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2018/02/05/581873428/could-a-more-individualistic-world-also-be-a-more-altruistic- one

This article reviews research that addresses this counterintuitive question.

Persuasion:  Can the salesperson be too excited?

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/news/minds-business/too-sad-too-happy-salesperson-emotions-affect-buyer-behavio r-during-and-after-sale.html

I think we know the answer to that, but let’s see what the research says.

Prejudice:  “Two decades of measuring implicit associations”  (IAT)

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/the-bias-beneath-two-decades-of-measuring-implicit-associations

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/mahzarin-banaji-and-the-implicit-revolution

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/how-scientists-are-blocking-bias-in-the-world-at-large

The first article provides a nice overview of the tool and some of what we have learned.  The second link is to an article about one of its co-creators – Mahzarin Banaji.  The third link is to an article describing the research of psychologists who have attempted to reduce bias in the real world.

Psychology in the Courtroom:  The category cluster recall technique

http://keenetrial.com/blog/2018/02/20/the-category-cluster-recall-technique-increasing-eyewitness-recall/

to improve eyewitness recall – this research finds it superior to free recall.

Psychology in the Courtroom:  How easy is it to implant false memories of committing a crime?

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/02/15/psychologists-clash-over-how-easy-it-is-to-implant-false-memories-of-committing -a-crime/

Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment: Lie detection approach foiled by made-up alibi

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/02/08/cognitive-approach-to-lie-detection-rendered-useless-by-made-up-alibi/

Using the idea that lying is more mentally demanding than telling the truth, techniques using speed of response are used to detect lying.  This research suggests that that technique can be beaten.

Social Judgment: “Another blow for ego-depletion theory”

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2018/01/29/another-blow-for-ego-depletion-theory-willpower-seems-to-replenish-over-time/

Social Judgment: Studying first impressions

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/studying-first-impressions-what-to-consider

This brief article reviews some research on types and processes of first impressions.

Social Judgment: “How low income affects routine decisions”

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/publications/observer/obsonline/how-low-income-affects-routine-decisions.html

Social Judgment:  Is conservatism a “flaw,” or just a cultural difference?

http://spsp.org/news-center/blog/conservatism-flaw-cultural

Interesting research

Technology in Teaching

Video

Conformity:  The autokinetic illusion study and more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8BkzvP19v4

I love this video!  A student pointed me to it.  It is an excerpt of an episode of the YouTube show Brain Games.  In addition to being a very interesting and creative test of conformity, it provides an excellent example of continuing a norm even after the confederates who started it have left the group, as in Sherif’s autokinetic illusion study.

Conformity:  Standing ovations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft7mwyiPyIo

Another Brain Games episode

Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment:  Eyewitness inaccuracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWO2UQ4MW7U

Another Brain Games episode

The Self: An interview with Walter Mischel

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/publications/observer/obsonline/inside-the-psychologists-studio-with-walter-mis chel.html

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them directly to me (jfmueller@...) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
30 North Brainard St.
North Central College
Naperville, IL 60540
jfmueller@...
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2018.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

-- Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

North Central College