[webdev] Web Design Update: December 23, 2015

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 11:20:39 -0600
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: December 23, 2015

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 14, Issue 26, December 23, 2015.

design and development.

++ISSUE 26 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: DREAMWEAVER.

04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

05: EVENTS.

06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

07: JAVASCRIPT.

08: MISCELLANEOUS.

09: NAVIGATION.

10: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

11: USABILITY.

12: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

The Accessibility Mindset

By Eric Eggert.

"Accessibility is often characterized as additional work, hard to
learn and only affecting a small number of people. Those myths have no
logical foundation and often stem from outdated information or
misconceptions."

https://24ways.org/2015/the-accessibility-mindset/

What are the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines?

By Ai-Media.

"Make your content accessible with captions, transcripts, and audio
description..."

http://www.ai-media.tv/web-content-accessibility-guidelines-wcag/

Testing Labeling Icons

By Adina Halter.

"This exercise seeks to find the best method to give a text
alternative to an SVG icon, whether it is used alone or inside of an
anchor or button..."

http://haltersweb.github.io/Accessibility/testing-icon-labeling.html

How the W3C Text Alternative Computation Works

By Bryan Garaventa.

"Over the years, there has been a lot of confusion about the W3C Text

Alternative Computation and how this works, especially when influenced
by the addition of CSS and ARIA attributes..."

http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/ how-the-w3c-text-alternative-computation-works/

National Basketball Association Complaint (PDF)

"...Robert Jahoda('Plaintiff') seeks a permanent injunction requiring
a change in the National Basketball Association's
('Defendant' or the 'NBA')corporate polices to cause Defendant's
website to become, and remain, accessible..."

http://www.graydonhead.com/docs/ default-source/attorney-publications/nba-case.pdf

West v. eHarmony Case Details

eHarmony Complaint: "...eHarmony is denying blind individuals
throughout the United States equal access to the goods and services
eHarmony provides to its non-disabled customers through
eharmony.com..."

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/nysd/445692/

SIPE v. Red Roof Inns Case Details

Red Roof Inns Complaint: "...Plaintiff Michelle Sipe brings this
action against Defendant and asserts that its website is not
accessible to blind and visually impaired consumers in violation of
Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act..."

https://www.unitedstatescourts.org/federal/pawd/225991/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Pseudo and Pseudon't

By Jeremy Keith.

"I like CSS pseudo-classes. They come in handy for adding little
enhancements to interfaces based on interaction..."

https://adactio.com/journal/10000

CSS Basics

By Rachel Andrew.

"...a couple of short modules on CSS selectors and length units..."

https://thecssworkshop.com/css-basics

+03: DREAMWEAVER.

Is Dreamweaver a Serious Web Design Tool?

By Fueled.

"The team at Fueled examine the pros and cons of using Adobe's veteran
web design software."

http://www.creativebloq.com/adobe/dreamweaver-web-design-tool-121518352

+04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Are You Conducting a Heuristic Evaluation or an Expert Review?

By Jeff Sauro.

"...There's nothing wrong with inspecting an interface without
heuristics; just don't call it a Heuristic Evaluation, call it an
expert review..."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/he-expert.php

The Complete Guide to Scenarios - Part Two

By Neil Turner.

"... I'm going to go through everything you need to know to start
using scenarios to design products and service that really perform in
the real world..."

http://www.uxforthemasses.com/scenarios-part-two/

+05: EVENTS.

Usability Week
February 22-26, 2016
Los Angeles, Califorina, U.S.A.
http://www.nngroup.com/training/losangeles/

Future Insights Live
May 2-5, 2016.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://futureinsightslive.com/chicago-2016/

HighEdWeb Michigan
May 5-6, 2016.
Grand Rapids, Michigan, U.S.A.
http://mi16.highedweb.org/

WebVisions Portland
May 18-20, 2016.
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
http://www.webvisionsevent.com/portland/

Global Accessibility Awareness Day
May 19, 2016.
Everywhere
http://www.globalaccessibilityawarenessday.org/

UXPA Seattle 2016
May 31-June 3, 2016.
Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
http://uxpa2016.org/

+06: INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE.

Optimizing Your Design For Rapid Prototype Testing

By Michelle Chu.

"...here are six tips for designers to consider when creating
prototypes specifically to generate user testing insight...."

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/12/ optimizing-your-design-for-rapid-prototype-testing/

Complete Beginner's Guide to Information Architecture

By UX Booth.

"...In this article we'll discuss what information architecture really
is, and why it's a valuable aspect of the user experience process..."

http://www.uxbooth.com/articles/ complete-beginners-guide-to-information-architecture/

+07: JAVASCRIPT.

Reimagining Single-Page Applications With Progressive Enhancement

By Heydon Pickering.

"...In this article, I've introduced a solution for architecting
progressive single-page applications using little more than a couple
of CSS tricks, less than 0.5 KB of JavaScript and, importantly, some
static HTML...You can embrace web standards while reaping the benefits
of sharing data and functionality between different interface screens
on a single web page. That is all that makes a single-page app a
single-page app, really. Everything else is an add-on."

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/12/ reimagining-single-page-applications-progressive-enhancement/

JavaScript: 2015 in Review

By Craig Buckler.

"JavaScript had a remarkable year..."

http://www.sitepoint.com/javascript-2015-review/

Preparing for ECMAScript 6: Destructuring Assignment

By Craig Buckler.

"...In essence, ECMAScript 6 (ES2015) destructuring assignment allows
you to extract individual items from arrays or objects and place them
into variables using a shorthand syntax..."

http://www.sitepoint.com/preparing-ecmascript-6-destructuring-assignment/

+08: MISCELLANEOUS.

The Perfect Storm in Digital Law

By Heather Burns.

"Legislating the web has long been murky ground. When glacial
processes, uninformed committees, and international politics meet the
individualized culture of the internet, friction ensues. Despite the
resulting confusion, it's our duty to work within the law-and to speak
up for a better relationship between governing bodies and web
professionals. Heather Burns guides us through the current dilemmas in
digital law, and offers a solution: professionalizing our industry to
ensure a seat at the table."

http://alistapart.com/article/the-perfect-storm-in-digital-law

+09: NAVIGATION.

How Tabs Should Work

By Remy Sharp.

"...this post is my definition of how a tabbing system should work,
and one approach of implementing that..."

https://24ways.org/2015/how-tabs-should-work/

+10: STANDARDS, GUIDELINES & PATTERNS.

NYC HTML5 of Standards, De-facto Nonsense, How You Can Help Browsers
and What to Learn Right Now

By Christian Heilmann.

"Yesterday I delivered my last planned talk of the year in the
Facebook offices in New York as part of the NYCHTML5 Meetup..."

https://www.christianheilmann.com/2015/12/16/nychtml5-of-standards-
de-facto-nonsense-how-you-can-help-browsers-and-what-to-learn-right-now/

+11: USABILITY.

Busting 9 UX Myths Like a Boss

By Michael Georgiou.

Expertise in UX design comes through continuous study and practice. It
also comes from debunking these age old myths, which allow designers
to derive maximum benefits of UX for their projects.

http://blog.usabilitytools.com/busting-9-ux-myths-like-a-boss/

How Readability Can Make Sure People Actually Read Your Content

By Sol Orwell.

"What's the easiest way to increase time-on-site, decrease bounce, and
make it more likely people share your content? Readability..."

http://www.sjo.com/readability

+11: XML.

SVG Text On A Path - Part 1

By Steven Bradley.

"Today I'll show you how to work with SVG text along straight line
paths that change direction and next week I'll show you how to create
SVG text along any curved path you can imagine..."

http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/svg-text-on-a-path-part-1/

SVG Text On Path - Part 2

By Steven Bradley.

"Creating SVG text along a path opens up some interesting and creative
possibilities..."

http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/svg-text-on-pathpart-2/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson