[webdev] Web Design Update: June 9, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2016 06:12:35 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: June 9, 2016

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 14, Issue 50, June 9, 2016.

design and development.

++ISSUE 50 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: HTML5.

06: JAVASCRIPT.

07: TOOLS.

08: TYPOGRAPHY.

09: USABILITY.

10: XML.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Optimizing for Accessibility + SEO Formatting & Link Overlaps

By Laura Lippay. (Hat tip to Jennifer Sutton)

"In today's post on accessibility + SEO, we're digging into on-page
aspects that include formatting text, colors, links, and content that
we can't see see but machines can..."

https://moz.com/blog/seo-accessibility-formatting-and-links

Optimizing for Accessibility + SEO: Images, Video and Non-Text Elements

By Laura Lippay.

"In the first two posts in this series we covered site and page
structure overlaps, and formatting and linking overlaps. In this final
post we'll cover accessibility and SEO overlaps when coding for media
elements."

https://moz.com/blog/seo-accessibility-images-video

WebAIR: Web Accessibility Information Resource

By David Swallow.

"This document lists the content types and questions in WebAIR. Under
each content type are a number of questions, each of which links to
more information. The "More information" links provide descriptions of
why the issue is important, how to fix the problem, code examples, and
further resources..."

https://www.cs.york.ac.uk/hci/webair/index.htm

Supporting the Development of Accessible Websites (Video)

By David Swallow.

"Despite many web accessibility initiatives over the last fifteen
years, web developers still struggle to create websites that are
accessible to people with disabilities. For the last six years, David
has worked closely with web developers to understand the difficulties
they encounter and to determine how best to support them. This
presentation provides an overview of his research and describes the
development and evaluation of a new accessibility information resource
for supporting web developers in the creation of accessible websites."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUBx5RpXGMc

How to Make Websites Become User Friendly and Accessible for Everybody

By John Stevens.

"Easy to implement tips and tricks on website accessibility..."

https://hostingfacts.com/website-accessibility-guide/

Using Plain Language to Enhance eRecruiting

By Partnership on Employment & Accessible Technology (PEAT).

"Here's a news flash: Accessibility matters to people with all kinds
of disabilities-not just those with vision and hearing impairments..."

http://www.peatworks.org/talentworks/resources/plain-language

What Are WCAG Success Criteria?

By David MacDonald.

"and 8 tips on how to write them..."

http://davidmacd.com/blog/what-are-WCAG-success-criteria.html

Americans with Disability Act (ADA) Website Accessibility Requirements Delayed

By Michael Pillion and Eric Pennesi.

"When we last discussed the application of Title III of the Americans
with Disabilities Act (ADA) to websites (see our April 2015 post), the
US Department of Justice (DOJ) appeared primed to propose the Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, Level AA as the standard
required for public accommodations in the private/non-government
sector..."

http://www.natlawreview.com/article/ americans-disability-act-ada-website-accessibility-requirements-delayed

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Molten Leading in CSS

By Chris Coyier.

"...Tim's coined phrase "molten leading", which is essentially
line-height that depends on line length. It's actually a "triadic"
relationship..."

https://css-tricks.com/molten-leading-css/

+03: EVALUATION and TESTING.

How to Assign the Severity of Usability Problems

By Jeff Sauro.

"...Here are five steps to follow for establishing a system for
assigning problem severity after observing problems in a usability
test..."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/severity-ratings.php

Diary Studies: Understanding Long-Term User Behavior and Experiences

By Kim Flaherty.

"User logs (diaries) of daily activities as they occur give contextual
insights about real-time user behaviors and needs, helping define UX
feature requirements."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/diary-studies/

Testing is Not an Issue of Not Enough Money or Time

By Gerry McGovern.

"The key to digital transformation involves organizing around the
customer. To do that you must continuously test with the customer."

http://www.gerrymcgovern.com/new-thinking/ testing-not-issue-not-enough-money-or-time

Run Parallel Design and Development Sprints

By Hannah Alvarez.

"...Many leading companies find that the most effective way to
incorporate user tests into their agile development cycle is to have
their design team (UI/UX designers, visual designers, user
researchers, and product managers) run a design sprint parallel to
their development team..."

https://www.usertesting.com/blog/2016/06/07/ user-testing-agile-development/

+04: EVENTS.

San Francisco UX Conference
June 25-July 1, 2016.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/san-francisco/

Toronto UX Conference
July 10-15, 2016.
Toronto, Canada.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/toronto/

AHEAD 2016
July 11-16, 2016.
Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
https://www.ahead.org/conferences/2016

Generate San Francisco 2016
July 15, 2016.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
http://www.generateconf.com/san-francisco-2016/

HCI International 2016
July 17-22, 2016.
Toronto, Canada
http://2016.hci.international/index.php

+05: HTML5.

Finishing HTML5.1 ... and Starting HTML 5.2

By Charles McCathie Nevile.

"Since we published the Working on HTML5.1 post, we've made progress.
We've closed more issues than we have open, we now have a working
rhythm for the specification that is getting up to the speed we want,
and we have a spec we think is a big improvement on HTML5..."

https://www.w3.org/blog/2016/06/finishing-html5-1-and-starting-html-5-2/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

Making your JavaScript Pure

By Jack Franklin.

"JavaScript code can easily grow into a thicket of dependencies that
harbors wily and persistent bugs. Keeping the rows neat with functions
that don't reach outside their scope makes your codebase more reliable
and easier to document. Jack Franklin suggests looking for
opportunities to use pure functions-it could make maintaining the code
a stroll in the park for your future self."

http://alistapart.com/article/making-your-javascript-pure

aria-sort (property)

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"aria-sort (property) is used to inform the screen reader user whether
the columns or rows in a grid can be sorted. Aria-sort (property) is
used to a table header or a grid header. This aria-sort (property) can
be used both for column headers or row headers. aria-sort (property)
has two possible values "ascending" and "descending"..."

http://www.maxability.co.in/2016/06/aria-sort-property/

You Don't Need JavaScript for That!

By Cristina Silva.

"...Here are some components I use created by using only CSS..."

https://robots.thoughtbot.com/you-don-t-need-javascript-for-that

Progressive Enhancement and Modern JavaScript

By Caolan.

"Recently, I realised that I've been writing single page applications
(SPAs) for about seven years..."

http://caolan.org/posts/progressive_enhancement_and_modern_javascript/

+07: TOOLS.

Tables Bookmarklet for Accessibility Testing

By Paul J. Adam.

"Tables Bookmarklet for Accessibility Testing inserts data table tags and attributes into the DOM with a yellow highlighted background so you can quickly identify the accessibility errors."

http://pauljadam.com/bookmarklets/tables.html

+08: TYPOGRAPHY.

In Plain Sight: Text, Contrast, and Accessibility

By Ryan Frederick.

"Contrast is one of the basic elements of graphic design. It lets us
tell things apart. Yet in UI design, at least for the web, there is a
perpetual temptation to skimp. Things tend towards gray-on-gray."

https://medium.com/shopify-ux/in-plain-sight-5639c9afb4c6

+09: USABILITY.

Why Users Abandon Forms with Select Menus

By UX Movement.

"Form abandonment is like someone agreeing to meet up with you but
then canceling last minute. Users who are interested in what a site
offers have no trouble starting a form. But when it comes to
completing it, they'll have many reasons not to."

http://uxmovement.com/forms/why-users-abandon-forms-with-select-menus/

On Icons

By ia.net.

"Icons save space. Icons look crisp. Icons give quick answers to hard
questions: How do we make it nicer? How can we brand it? How do we
make it more fun? We love icons. Until they start messing with our
minds..."
https://ia.net/know-how/on-icons

+10: XML.

More About SVG Masking - Properties And Attributes

By Steven Bradley.

"...In the clipping part of this series I showed how CSS handles
clipping and I'd like to do the same for masking..."

http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/svg-masking-properties-attributes/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation and Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson