[webdev] Web Design Update: June 2, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 06:15:35 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: June 2, 2016

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 14, Issue 49, June 2, 2016.

design and development.

++ISSUE 49 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

04: EVALUATION & TESTING.

05: EVENTS.

06: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Should All Content be Responsive?

By Derek Featherstone.

"In this screencast, Derek walks us through a couple of examples where
traditional approaches to responsive content may actually hamper
people from achieving their goals online. He proposes some alternative
approaches that keep user experience top of mind..."

http://simplyaccessible.com/article/responsive-content/

First-Hand Knowledge: What My Injury Revealed About Web Accessibility

By Nicolas Steenhout.

"Nic shares how the experience of injuring his hand brings up a lot
that relates to our work in web accessibility..."

http://simplyaccessible.com/article/first-hand-knowledge/

The Audience You Didn't Know You Had

By Angela Colter.

"...if your target audience includes the general public, you may want
to consider that nearly half of them may have low literacy skills..."

http://contentsmagazine.com/articles/ the-audience-you-didn%E2%80%99t-know-you-had/

Accessibility and Me

By Marian Foley.

"This blog by Marian Foley is the first in a series of blog posts
about people with access needs..."

https://accessibility.blog.gov.uk/2016/05/26/accessibility-and-me-marian-foley/

The Writer's Guide to Making Accessible Web Content

By Genevieve Conti.

"...Here's how you can play a role in making the web a more accessible
place, and optimize your content for everyone..."

https://zapier.com/blog/accessible-web-content/

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Semantic CSS

By Jonathan Snook.

"Why everybody who talks about the importance of semantics is both
right and wrong at the same time..."

http://snook.ca/archives/html_and_css/semantic-css

CSS Grid Layout and Positioned Items

By Manuel Rego Casasnovas.

"Positioned grid items have some special features that will be
explained on this blog post."

https://blogs.igalia.com/mrego/2016/05/27/ css-grid-layout-and-positioned-items/

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Team Members Behaving Badly During Usability Tests

By Hoa Loranger.

When observers make unethical requests or act in ways that violate
proper usability practices, researchers should act to protect the
participant.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/team-members-user-test/

+04: EVENTS.

Implementing and Evaluating Web Application Accessibility
July 7, 2016.
Online.

http://info.3playmedia.com/webinar-registration-07-07-2016.html

+05: USABILITY.

UX Reality Check: 14 Hard Truths About Users

By Robert Hoekman, Jr.

"It can be hard for designers to take a step back and look at an app
or website through users' eyes. Here's where to start..."

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3059921/ux-reality-check-14-hard-truths-about-users

Mobile UX Design: The Right Ways to Ask Users for Permissions

By Nick Babich.

"... In this article will get you on the right track by helping you
avoid common pitfalls in your permission request logic..."

http://babich.biz/ mobile-ux-design-the-right-ways-to-ask-users-for-permissions/

B2B vs. B2C Websites: Key UX Differences

By Page Laubheimer.

"Business-to-Business websites need to include content that is
tailored to both end users and decision makers during long purchase
cycles, clearly indicates integration details, has representative
prices even for complex pricing scenarios, and speaks to all relevant
verticals without alienating any of them."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/b2b-vs-b2c/

+06: XML.

SVG Masking

By Steven Bradley.

"Today I want to shift focus and talk about masks. You'll find them to
be similar in regards to the code you use to create them, but as
you'll see masks do different things than clipping paths and you'll
use each to create different effects..."

http://vanseodesign.com/web-design/svg-masking/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation and Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites and Blogs Listing.

Standards, Guidelines and Pattern Information.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson