[socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 9

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 13:21:36 -0500
From: Jon Mueller <jfmueller@...>
To: socialpsy-teach@...
Subject: [socialpsy-teach] TSP Newsletter - Vol. 15, No. 9

Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter

Vol. 15, No. 9

May 27, 2016

the e-mail newsletter accompanying the
Resources for the Teaching of Social Psychology website at
http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow

Articles

         Prejudice: "Bias in the flesh: Skin complexion and stereotype consistency in political campaigns"

         https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25710348/biasintheflesh.pdf

         http://poq.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2015/12/17/poq.nfv046

         An interesting set of studies looking at how candidate Barack Obama was presented with varying skin tones in
political ads

Examples

         Group Influence: Group polarization (9:04)

         http://www.ted.com/talks/eli_pariser_beware_online_filter_bubbles

         Subscriber George Schreer pointed me to this excellent example of group polarization. This Ted Talk describes how
Google and Facebook among other sites place us in "filter bubbles" exposing us primarily to information with which we agree.

         Prejudice: Institutional discrimination

         http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/condition-of-education_us_5744e272e4b0dacf7ad353d0

         "The education system is rigged against low-income students, even in kindergarten," according to this report from
the National Center for Education Statistics.

         Prejudice: Language

         http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oriental-negro-federal-law_us_574332d4e4b0613b512adf37

         "Obama signs bill removing 'Oriental' and 'Negro' from federal laws."

         Prejudice: Overgeneralizing stereotypes

         http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/man-rips-off-muslim-woman-hijab_us_5736214fe4b060aa781a48b9

         On a plane, "A man ripped off a Muslim woman's hajib, screamed 'This is America!'"

         Social Judgment: Judgment errors

         http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/05/sorry-to-say-but-your-pilots-decisions.html

         Warning: Your pilot makes irrational decisions too!

         The Self: Reducing cognitive dissonance

         http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/05/17/3778863/1-day-15-different-excuses-donald-trumps-mistreatment-women-f
ox-news/

         "In just one day, Fox News offered 15 different excuses for Trump's disgusting treatment of women."

Topic Resources

Attraction & Relationships: "Psychology predicts where your relationship is headed!"

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2016/4/19/are-there-wedding-bells-in-your-future-psychology-predicts-w.html

Just send me $25.00 and I will....

Attraction & Relationships: Good storytelling males seen as more attractive, higher status

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/05/men-who-can-tell-good-story-are-seen-as.html

It's like that time I...

Attraction & Relationships/Gender & Culture:  For women, benefits of attractiveness at work primarily depending
on good grooming

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/women-makeup-work_us_573dd256e4b0aee7b8e92336

according to this study

Gender & Culture: "Gendered language in teacher reviews"

http://notawfulandboring.blogspot.com/2016/05/ben-schmidts-gendered-language-in.html

Here is more about mining the data from Ratemyprofessor.com.

Gender & Culture: "Antiquated" views about how to celebrate prom

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2016/05/23/3780792/prom-gender-norms/

Gender & Culture: The forgotten women of NASA

http://thinkprogress.org/culture/2016/05/19/3779620/the-forgotten-rocket-girls-of-nasa/

Gender & Culture: Why college women outperform their college entrance test scores

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/05/why-do-women-do-so-much-better-at.html

General: The growth and evolution of social media

http://www.socialmediatoday.com/content/timeline-instagram-2010-present-infographic

http://mashable.com/2011/01/24/the-history-of-social-media-infographic/#qDstpoqClkqF

The first link is to a timeline of Instagram from 2010 to the present.  The second link is to an infrographic
providing a broader history of social media.

Helping: We're less likely to help when near a luxury store

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/04/people-are-less-likely-to-come-to-your.html

Ahh, priming

Prejudice/Psychology in the Courtroom: Black law associates viewed as less competent

http://keenetrial.com/blog/2016/05/16/so-how-do-law-firm-partners-really-feel-about-black-associates/

Interesting study in which partners judged Black associates' writing more harshly than that of White associates

Psychology in the Courtroom: "Your face can get you killed"

http://keenetrial.com/blog/2016/05/09/your-face-can-get-you-killed/

This blog entry describes research that found that decreased ratings of trustworthiness for convicts with wider
faces predicted greater likelihood of receiving death sentences versus life sentences.

Psychology in the Courtroom: Police interrogation

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/how-to-interrogate-suspects

This article takes you through historical methods of interrogation up to the newer ones proposed or used now.

Psychology in the Courtroom/Social Judgment: Easy to implant false memories? No, says new review

http://digest.bps.org.uk/2016/05/its-easy-to-implant-false-childhood.html

Social Judgment:  Can you tell when someone is angry or irritated?

http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2016/5/23/shes-got-the-look-or-does-she.html

Interesting research says we often misinterpret someone's facial expression as angry or irritated when they are
not.  Women actually make this error more often than men.

Social Judgment: "Our brains distort faces to fit stereotypes"

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2016/05/04/3774814/stereotypes-literally-warp-your-vision/

Social Judgment/The Self:  He just got lucky

http://www.talkpsych.com/talk-psych-blog/2016/5/4/talent-grit-luck-success

Uber-talented subscriber David Myers admits that luck also played a role in his success.  Sucker.

Technology in Teaching

Video

Attraction & Relationships/Prejudice: Response to attractive woman with overweight man (1:40)

https://www.facebook.com/hefty.co/videos/1786056831622687/?pnref=story

Gender & Culture: "If catcalls were compliments" (3:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-XFR4BMYo4

This video provides a nice response to that common rationale for catcalling.

Helping: Donating at the cash register (0:34)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sBZstD-UEk

The South Park tv show provides a humorous take on this donation appeal technique.

Methods: How the media misrepresents scientific studies (19:27)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw

John Oliver on Last Week Tonight provides a very good and humorous take on this subject.

Prejudice: Coming out gay kiss in ad (0:46)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H8LxrrYoH4

This condom ad from South Africa has created a lot of controversy.

Prejudice: Most racist ad ever? (0:49)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq-I0JRhvt4

Some are calling this Chinese detergent ad just that.

Prejudice: Muslim kids read letters written by Japanese internment kids from WWII (2:32)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/muslim-kids-japanese-american-kids-internment-camp-letters_us_573b1071e4b060aa781b3375

https://www.facebook.com/HuffingtonPost/videos/10153914184681130

The second link is to the video.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How Do You ... ?

Ever wonder how your fellow social psych instructors handle a certain topic or issue in their courses? Then send
me your "How Do You..?" question and I will try and post it here. If I get some answers I will post them in the
following issue.

Request Line is Open!

Yes, I take requests; in fact, I encourage them. Are there particular types of resources you would like examples
of? Particular topics you are interested in? Teaching tips? Technology tips? I want to tailor this newsletter to
your needs. So, please feel free to send me your requests, suggestions, comments and resources. Send them
directly to me (jfmueller@...) or by replying to this message.

The Teaching Social Psychology Newsletter is published monthly (hopefully) by

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology

30 North Brainard St.

North Central College

Naperville, IL 60540

jfmueller@...

http://jfmueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

Copyright, Jon Mueller 2001-2016.

You are welcome to share part or all of this newsletter with anyone you like for non-commercial purposes. Please pass it
along to others who you think might find it useful.

How to subscribe to the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/subscribe/socialpsy-teach

How to view past issues of the Newsletter:
Go to https://lists.noctrl.edu/sympa/arc/socialpsy-teach

===============

Jon Mueller

Professor of Psychology