[webdev] Web Design Update: May 18, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 12:55:01 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: May 18, 2016

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 14, Issue 47, May 18, 2016.

design and development.

++ISSUE 47 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

04: EVENTS.

05: HTML5.

08: JAVASCRIPT.

07: NAVIGATION.

08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Web Accessibility Perspectives: Explore the Impact and Benefits for Everyone

By Web Accessibility Initiative.

"Web accessibility is essential for people with disabilities and
useful for all. Learn about the impact of accessibility and the
benefits for everyone in a variety of situations..."

https://www.w3.org/WAI/perspectives/

Creating Bulletproof Headings

By Julie Grundy.

"With some changes to the W3C guidelines on the horizon, Julie walks
us through some best practices for headings, one of the web's most
humble-yet-powerful elements..."

http://simplyaccessible.com/article/bulletproof-headings/

Designing A Dementia-Friendly Website

By Laurence Ivil and Paul Myles.

"...In this piece, we'll share some lessons we learned along the way
about making a dementia-friendly front end on a tight budget..."

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/05/ designing-a-dementia-friendly-website/

WCAG 2.0 SC 1.3.1: Interpreting "or available in text"

By Sailesh Panchang.

"The phrase 'or are available in text' occurring in Success criterion
1.3.1 of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 is very commonly
misinterpreted..."

http://www.mindoversight.com/?p=149

1.2.3 Audio Description or Media Alternative (Prerecorded)

By Rakesh Paladugula.

"An alternative for time-based media or audio description of the
prerecorded video content is provided for synchronized media, except
when the media is a media alternative for text and is clearly labeled
as such. (Level A)..."

http://www.maxability.co.in/2016/05/ 1-2-3-audio-description-or-media-alternative-prerecorded/

DOJ Refreshes Its Efforts to Promulgate Title II Website Accessibility

Regulations and Other Accessible Technology Updates - What Does It All
Suggest for Businesses?

By Joshua A. Stein.

"On April 28, 2016, the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights
Division, withdrew its Notice of Proposed Rulemaking..."

http://www.natlawreview.com/print/article/doj-refreshes-its-
efforts-to-promulgate-title-ii-website-accessibility-regulations

Spring 2016 Digital Accessibility Legal Update

By Law Office of Lainey Feingold.

"This post includes recent legal developments about digital
accessibility between December 11, 2015 and May 7, 2016. .."

http://www.lflegal.com/2016/05/legal-update-spring16/

Seventy Percent of Websites Are Breaking the Law on Accessibility -
Here's How and Why That Needs to Change

By Damiano La Rocca.

"We've all been there, angrily tapping at your phone on a website that
just refuses to co-operate. The links are too small to click, the
images won't load and the ads are both incredibly invasive and
impossible to close. Now imagine accessibility issues like this every
time you visit a website, infuriating right?..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ damiano-la-rocca/website-accessibility_b_9931304.html

+02: CASCADING STYLE SHEETS.

Let's Write Beautiful CSS Comments

By Ethan Muller.

"Your code isn't as self-explanatory as you think it is..."

http://seesparkbox.com/foundry/lets_write_beautiful_css_comments

+03: EVALUATION & TESTING.

How to Choose the Right Participants for Your UX Research

By Jennifer Winter.

"One of the most important factors that contribute to a successful
user research study lies in choosing the right participants (and the
right number of them)..."

https://www.usertesting.com/blog/2016/05/13/ how-to-choose-the-right-participants-for-your-ux-research/

Combining UX Research with Market Research

By Jeff Sauro.

"...the truth is that the line between market research and UX research
is increasingly blurring..."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/ux-market-research.php

+04: EVENTS.

Inclusive Design 24
May 19, 2016.
Online
http://www.inclusivedesign24.org

Twin Cities Drupal Camp
June 23-26, 2016.
Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
http://2016.tcdrupal.org/

+05: HTML5.

Tabs a 3-step Journey from HTML to ARIA

By Birkir Gunnarsson, Bryan Garaventa, Lèonie Watson, and Matt King.

"This article is an accompanyment to Danger! Testing Accessibility
with real people..."

https://hackpoets.wordpress.com/2016/05/10/ from-html-to-aria-tabs-a-travelog/

Help with WebVTT

By Ian Devlin.

"Over the last few months I have received a number of requests via
email for help with HTML5 video subtitles via WebVTT..."

https://www.iandevlin.com/blog/2016/05/html5/help-with-webvtt

role="password" Is Not Wise

By Jonathan Kingston.

"TL;DR: ARIA is a hack on real accessibility, reimplementing HTML in
ARIA is silly, subverting password managers is evil, expecting the
developers to start using role='password' likely wont happen happen,
CSS replaced elements can't use pseudo elements and we should just fix
that..."

https://jotter.jonathankingston.co.uk/blog/ 2016/05/16/role-password-is-not-wise/

+06: JAVASCRIPT.

How to Make Accessible Web Components - a Brief Guide

By Artem Tabalin.

"In a previous article I demonstrated how to create a multiselect web
component. In the comments section of that article, readers touched on
the very important subject of web component accessibility.
Undoubtedly, for today's web it's vital to be accessible, so let's
talk about what accessibility stands for and see (by means of a
real-world example) how to make a web component more accessible..."

http://www.sitepoint.com/accessible-web-components/

Accessibility Testing with aXe and WebdriverJS

By Marcy Sutton.

"In this tutorial, we'll set up automated accessibility testing for a
JavaScript project using axe-webdriverjs, a Node.js module making
axe-core easy to use with Selenium Webdriver. This tutorial uses the
Jasmine testing framework-which could be swapped out for Mocha or
another testing solution-but is otherwise framework-agnostic and can
be integrated into any project."

http://www.deque.com/blog/accessibility-testing-axe-webdriverjs/

Handling Whitespace in ES6 Template Literals

By Axel Rauschmayer.

"In this blog post, we look at problems that arise when template
literals contain whitespace..."

http://www.2ality.com/2016/05/template-literal-whitespace.html

+07: NAVIGATION.

ARIA Tabs, UI Problems and Standards

By Alastair Campbell.

"...So this is where 1+1 may equal 3, because it isn't just about one
website and these users. Whilst the results from some usability
testing might lead you to removing the ARIA tab markup, there is
another factor to take into account: the standards and all the other
websites in the world. If every site consistently used ARIA tabs,
people would learn..."

https://alastairc.ac/2016/05/aria-tabs-ui-problems-and-standards/

When You Should Use a Breadcrumb Navigation

By UX Movement.

"If you're ever lost in a large territory, the first thing you'd want
to know is where you are..."

http://uxmovement.com/navigation/ when-you-should-use-a-breadcrumb-navigation/

+08: USABILITY.

Needy Design Patterns: Please-Don't-Go Popups and Get-Back-to-Me Tabs

By Kate Meyer and Kim Flaherty.

"These two overly demanding website design patterns aimed at driving
engagement are in conflict with how people utilize browser tabs."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/needy-design-patterns/

Radio Buttons UX Design

By Nick Babich.

"Radio buttons are an essential element of forms..."

https://uxplanet.org/radio-buttons-ux-design-588e5c0a50dc#.jpkfxjabf

5 Easy Ways to Keep Your Users in Mind

By Deborah Edwards-Onoro.

"When you work on the web and create products for users, you can get
caught up with all the technology..."

https://www.lireo.com/5-easy-ways-to-keep-your-users-in-mind/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson