[webdev] Web Design Update: April 28, 2016

David P. Dillard

.

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 06:32:09 -0500
From: Laura Carlson <lcarlson@d.umn.edu>
To: webdev <webdev@d.umn.edu>
Subject: [webdev] Web Design Update: April 28, 2016

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.

- Volume 14, Issue 44, April 28, 2016.

design and development.

++ISSUE 44 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.

New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.

02: EVALUATION and TESTING.

03: EVENTS.

04: HTML5.

05: JAVASCRIPT.

06: TOOLS.

07: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Ramps Gone Wrong - The Problem of Putting Accessibility Guidelines

Ahead of User Experience

By Mark Palmer.

"Mark shares a cringe-worthy but illuminating example of how
compliance and guidelines can get in the way of good user
experience..."

http://simplyaccessible.com/article/guidelines-vs-ux/

Interactive WCAG 2.0

By Viget.com.

"A filterable and sharable version of the WCAG 2.0 specification."

http://code.viget.com/interactive-wcag/

On Github:

https://github.com/vigetlabs/interactive-wcag

Web Accessibility - Does Your Site Meet the Standards?

By Julia Haas.

"The name itself pretty much explains it - web accessibility means
making the web accessible to anyone and everyone, including people
with disabilities..."

https://www.oho.com/blog/web-accessibility-does-your-site-meet-standards

How to Make Accessible Websites

By Ken Nakata.

"One out of every five adults has a disability, according to a study
published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention..."

https://insight.cryptzone.com/accessibility/how-to-make-accessible-websites/

Accessible Technology

By ADA.gov.

A new accessible technology section has been added to the ADA.gov website.

http://www.ada.gov/access-technology/index.html

Translating Accessibility Issues Into Agile Solutions

By Matt Isner.

"...we learned how to augment the manner in which we identify and
deliver accessibility issues to our customers' development teams, and
the results have been tangible improvements in ease of understanding
and accuracy of remediation..."

http://www.deque.com/blog/translating-accessibility-issues-agile-solutions/

Blind Students Sue BarBri, Demand Equal Access to Bar Prep Services

By Washington Lawyers' Committee.

"The Washington Lawyers' Committee (WLC) and the Texas Civil Rights
Project (TCRP) filed a lawsuit today on behalf of several blind law
students and graduates against BarBri, the biggest bar exam
preparation company in the nation..."

http://www.washlaw.org/news-a-media/479-04-25-16-barbri-press-release

The Complaint:

http://www.washlaw.org/pdf/barbri_complaint.PDF

+02: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Create a UX Measurement Plan

By Jeff Sauro.

"Whether you're introducing how to measure user experience to an
organization or trying to advance the maturity of your UX practice,
you need a plan for measuring and improving the user experience."

http://www.measuringu.com/blog/ux-measurement.php

+03: EVENTS.

Professional Web Accessibility Auditing Made Easy
May 16-June 13, 2016.
Online
https://www.canvas.net/browse/ryersonu/courses/web-access-auditing-1

+04: HTML5.

Screen Reader Support for New HTML5 Section Elements

By Becky Gibson.

"...The new HTML5 section elements are well supported on Windows 10 in
Chrome and Firefox and fairly well supported in IE 11 with the JAWS
and NVDA screen readers. VoiceOver and Safari also support these
elements. Let's hope that Edge will provide the necessary underlying
support soon."

http://www.weba11y.com/blog/2016/04/22/screen-reader-support-for-new-html5-section-elements/

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

Using the ARIA Application Role

By Leonie Watson.

"The ARIA application role changes the way screen readers interact
with web content. Several good articles explain (rightly) why the
application role should be used with caution, but this post looks at a
use case where the application role is used to good effect."

http://tink.uk/using-the-aria-application-role/

ARIA Thunder

By Derek Featherstone.

"Our post last week about the pitfalls of ARIA tabs pushed some
buttons in the accessibility community. This week, Derek responds to
the reactions and shares why we felt it was important to publish
something that made our readers uncomfortable...."

http://simplyaccessible.com/article/aria-thunder/

Avoiding a JavaScript Monoculture

By Rasmus Schultz.

"JavaScript, as a language, has some fundamental shortcomings - I
think the majority of us agree on that much. But everyone has a
different opinion on what precisely the shortcomings are..."

http://www.sitepoint.com/javascript-monoculture/

+06: TOOLS.

Modaal

By A Humaan Project.

"Modaal is a WCAG 2.0 Level AA accessible modal window plugin..."

http://www.humaan.com/modaal/

+07: USABILITY.

University Websites: Top 10 Design Guidelines

By Katie Sherwin.

"Effective university websites can increase conversions, strengthen
institutional credibility and brand, improve user satisfaction, and
save time and money."

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/university-sites/

Fresh Start Effect - How to Motivate Users with New Beginnings

By Katie Sherwin.

Clean slates encourage people to pursue their goals. Designers can
leverage this tendency by adjusting message timing and content.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/fresh-start-effect/

Customer Experience is All About Speed

By Gerry McGovern.

"...The minds that are truly focused on customer experience are
thinking in milliseconds. Speed, simplicity and usefulness are the
defining characteristics of great Web brands."

http://gerrymcgovern.com/new-thinking/customer-experience-all-about-speed

Add to Cart vs. Add to Bag - Which Button Label to Use

By UX Movement.

"There's one thing all ecommerce sites have in common. You have to
click a button to select the items you want to purchase. But the text
labels on the buttons aren't always the same. Some sites offer users
an 'Add to Cart' button while other sites offer an 'Add to Bag'
button. Does this difference in button label terminology affect user
purchasing behavior?"

http://uxmovement.com/buttons/add-to-cart-vs-add-to-bag-which-button-label-to-use

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines. Please let me

http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson