Two faint comets

Here are a couple of faint comets, imaged monochrome because of the nearly full moon:

156P Russell-LINEAR (magnitude 12-13; recent magnitude estimates vary):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/156P-Russell-LINEAR_022521.jpg

The bright star is epsilon Persei, magnitude 2.9

c2021 A2 NEOWISE (magnitude ~12):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2021-A2-NEOWISE_022521.jpg

Luminance only, 15 x 120 seconds for both images.  North is up.

A2 Neowise will be near a nebula tonight, and a good target (but the moon may kill).

Here are a couple of faint comets, imaged monochrome because of the nearly full moon:

156P Russell-LINEAR (magnitude 12-13; recent magnitude estimates vary):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/156P-Russell-LINEAR_022521.jpg

The bright star is epsilon Persei, magnitude 2.9

c2021 A2 NEOWISE (magnitude ~12):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2021-A2-NEOWISE_022521.jpg

Luminance only, 15 x 120 seconds for both images. North is up.

Sharpless 234 (the spider). It is actually right in front of that bright mag 5 star at 8 PM MST. Approximately 70 degrees from the moon.

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

A2 Neowise will be near a nebula tonight, and a good target (but the moon may kill).

Here are a couple of faint comets, imaged monochrome because of the nearly full moon:

156P Russell-LINEAR (magnitude 12-13; recent magnitude estimates vary):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/156P-Russell-LINEAR_022521.jpg

The bright star is epsilon Persei, magnitude 2.9

c2021 A2 NEOWISE (magnitude ~12):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2021-A2-NEOWISE_022521.jpg

Luminance only, 15 x 120 seconds for both images. North is up.

Was anyone imaging last evening? I was doing testing following some mount adjustments from PlaneWave. I started at 9:25pm and ended at 10:45pm.
Seems like there was a 1-4mph breeze with occasional small gusts. Seems like the seeing was mediocre. How does this compare with others?
Thanks.

Sharpless 234 (the spider). It is actually right in front of that bright mag 5 star at 8 PM MST. Approximately 70 degrees from the moon.

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

A2 Neowise will be near a nebula tonight, and a good target (but the moon may kill).

Here are a couple of faint comets, imaged monochrome because of the nearly full moon:

156P Russell-LINEAR (magnitude 12-13; recent magnitude estimates vary):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/156P-Russell-LINEAR_022521.jpg

The bright star is epsilon Persei, magnitude 2.9

c2021 A2 NEOWISE (magnitude ~12):
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/c2021-A2-NEOWISE_022521.jpg

Luminance only, 15 x 120 seconds for both images. North is up.

Hi Brian
I didn’t try imaging A2 NEOWISE because it was so faint, plus the full moon precluded any easy color imaging.

On Feb 27, 2021, at 7:19 AM, Brian Ottum <ottum@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

Brian,

I tried doing some variable star work and the seeing was bad. I woke up early (3 AM DSNM time) to try continuing but the seeing was even worse so I just parked.

[...]

I did not image. The wind was too high.

[...]

It took me a while to find them. Nice catch.