Thor's Helmet in 4X Narrowband

MJ Post

I've been experimenting recently with different filter and camera combinations on NGC 2359.  I was surprised at last night's result using OPT's quad narrowband filter on my OSC camera (ASI 6200MC).  Somehow the quad filter helps reveal much of the filamentary structure in core.  This image is from fourteen 600-sec unguided subs.

Does anyone else see the profile of a standing buffalo looking right, if you ignore the "horns" of Thor's helmet?

MJ Post

David Elmore

MJ,

Fantastic structure is revealed.  The quad has OIII and H-Beta as teal and H-alpha and SII as red.  It is interesting that this combination produces the amazing results.

Once having seen the Ralphie Nebula in my mind it will never be the same.

David

On Apr 9, 2021, at 7:32 PM, MJ Post <bldrpost@...> wrote:

I've been experimenting recently with different filter and camera combinations on NGC 2359.  I was surprised at last night's result using OPT's quad narrowband filter on my OSC camera (ASI 6200MC).  Somehow the quad filter helps reveal much of the filamentary structure in core.  This image is from fourteen 600-sec unguided subs.

Does anyone else see the profile of a standing buffalo looking right, if you ignore the "horns" of Thor's helmet?

MJ Post
<ThorQ_PS.1.jpg>

Gregg Ruppel

That’s an amazing image!  Could you specify which quad filter you used (there seems to be several versions).  Thanks for sharing.

On Apr 9, 2021, at 10:17 PM, MJ Post <bldrpost@...> wrote:

I've been experimenting recently with different filter and camera combinations on NGC 2359.  I was surprised at last night's result using OPT's quad narrowband filter on my OSC camera (ASI 6200MC).  Somehow the quad filter helps reveal much of the filamentary structure in core.  This image is from fourteen 600-sec unguided subs.

Does anyone else see the profile of a standing buffalo looking right, if you ignore the "horns" of Thor's helmet?

MJ Post
<ThorQ_PS.1.jpg>

MJ Post

Thanks, Gregg.  It's a mouthful, but the filter I used is Radian Telescope 2" Triad Ultra Quad-Band Narrowband Filter.  Radian Telescope is OPT's brand name, I believe.  I just call it the OPT quad filter.

Several of us in Colorado have tried it, or its 3-band cousin, with mixed results.  There seems to be no consistency in production quality, whether mounted or not, filter thickness, etc.  I swapped mine for Tally O'Donnell's (my mate at DSNM) because mine came glued-in mounted, which I couldn't use, and his was unmounted, which I could use.

MJ

On 04/10/2021 8:26 AM Gregg Ruppel <ruppel0709@...> wrote:

That’s an amazing image!  Could you specify which quad filter you used (there seems to be several versions).  Thanks for sharing.

On Apr 9, 2021, at 10:17 PM, MJ Post <bldrpost@...> wrote:

I've been experimenting recently with different filter and camera combinations on NGC 2359.  I was surprised at last night's result using OPT's quad narrowband filter on my OSC camera (ASI 6200MC).  Somehow the quad filter helps reveal much of the filamentary structure in core.  This image is from fourteen 600-sec unguided subs.

Does anyone else see the profile of a standing buffalo looking right, if you ignore the "horns" of Thor's helmet?

MJ Post
<ThorQ_PS.1.jpg>

Bernard Miller

MJ,

Beautiful detail and yes, I see the buffalo.

Bernard