The North American Nebula in SHO Narrowband

This is an image of NGC 7000, also known as the North American Nebula. It is an emission nebula about 2,600 light years away in the constellation Cygnus. Also in the image is IC 5070, also known as the Pelican Nebula. It can be seen in the center right of the image.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC7000_NB.htm

http://www.azstarman.net

A completely different view, due to the narrowband.  Wow.

This is an image of NGC 7000, also known as the North American Nebula. It is an emission nebula about 2,600 light years away in the constellation Cygnus. Also in the image is IC 5070, also known as the Pelican Nebula. It can be seen in the center right of the image.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC7000_NB.htm

http://www.azstarman.net

David Elmore

Barnard,
The North America Nebula has a lot of OIII that shows up blue in this SHO palette.  Your rendering nicely brings this out while simultaneously maintaining a range of colors in the stars.  How were you able to bring out the OIII in the nebula without causing the stars to go blue?
David

Bernard Miller

David,

I have a process I use from Martin Pugh to make narrowband stars look more natural. Use the Channel Mixer in Photoshop with the following settings in the Green channel

Red: +48

Green: +53

Blue: +11

Follow this up with HLVG to get rind of the excess green and use a star mask to isolate the stars. Of course, if I have RGB data, I use that for the stars.

Bernard