Small Reflection/Emission Nebula in Auriga

MJ Post

This was last night's project at DSNM - NGC 1931 (or Sharpless SH2-237).  It has been called a mini-M42 because of its bright cluster of new, hot stars, as in the Trapezium.  It is about 7000 light years distant and is pretty small - about 3 arc min. in diameter.  This RGB image was from twelve subs for each color, 300-sec unguided exposures, and binned 2x2.  Camera was ASI 6200mm; tele CDK14.  Significantly cropped!

Thanks for looking!

MJ

Dan Crowson

MJ,

Nice capture of the “fly.” Sh2-234 (the spider) makes for a nice image as well and it right next to it. 234 has a lot more Ha around it and would fill your field of fov. I have a few images of the area here - https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=80618630%40N06&sort=date-taken-desc&text=ngc%201931&view_all=1. (Yes, I seemed to have imaged NGC 1931 twice with my setup at DSNM).

This was last night's project at DSNM - NGC 1931 (or Sharpless SH2-237).  It has been called a mini-M42 because of its bright cluster of new, hot stars, as in the Trapezium.  It is about 7000 light years distant and is pretty small - about 3 arc min. in diameter.  This RGB image was from twelve subs for each color, 300-sec unguided exposures, and binned 2x2.  Camera was ASI 6200mm; tele CDK14.  Significantly cropped!

Thanks for looking!

MJ

Brian Ottum

MJ,

I like the dreamy effect.  Can you tell me how you did that?

Brian

This was last night's project at DSNM - NGC 1931 (or Sharpless SH2-237).  It has been called a mini-M42 because of its bright cluster of new, hot stars, as in the Trapezium.  It is about 7000 light years distant and is pretty small - about 3 arc min. in diameter.  This RGB image was from twelve subs for each color, 300-sec unguided exposures, and binned 2x2.  Camera was ASI 6200mm; tele CDK14.  Significantly cropped!

Thanks for looking!

MJ

Bernard Miller

MJ,

Beautiful colors but you may have done a little too much noise reduction. It looks a little over smoothed to me.

Bernard