Small Reflection/Emission Nebula in Auriga

MJ Post

This was last night's project at DSNM - NGC 1931 (or Sharpless SH2-237).  It has been called a mini-M42 because of its bright cluster of new, hot stars, as in the Trapezium.  It is about 7000 light years distant and is pretty small - about 3 arc min. in diameter.  This RGB image was from twelve subs for each color, 300-sec unguided exposures, and binned 2x2.  Camera was ASI 6200mm; tele CDK14.  Significantly cropped!

Thanks for looking!

MJ

Dan Crowson

MJ,

Nice capture of the “fly.” Sh2-234 (the spider) makes for a nice image as well and it right next to it. 234 has a lot more Ha around it and would fill your field of fov. I have a few images of the area here - https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=80618630%40N06&sort=date-taken-desc&text=ngc%201931&view_all=1. (Yes, I seemed to have imaged NGC 1931 twice with my setup at DSNM).

Dan

----          
Dan Crowson                          dcrowson@...
Dardenne Prairie MO               http://www.crowson.com

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of MJ Post
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 10:49 PM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Small Reflection/Emission Nebula in Auriga

This was last night's project at DSNM - NGC 1931 (or Sharpless SH2-237).  It has been called a mini-M42 because of its bright cluster of new, hot stars, as in the Trapezium.  It is about 7000 light years distant and is pretty small - about 3 arc min. in diameter.  This RGB image was from twelve subs for each color, 300-sec unguided exposures, and binned 2x2.  Camera was ASI 6200mm; tele CDK14.  Significantly cropped!

Thanks for looking!

MJ

Brian Ottum

MJ,

I like the dreamy effect.  Can you tell me how you did that?

Brian

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of MJ Post
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 11:49 PM

Thanks for looking!

MJ

Bernard Miller

MJ,

Beautiful colors but you may have done a little too much noise reduction. It looks a little over smoothed to me.

Bernard

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 9:49 PM

Thanks for looking!

MJ

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com