Slow Internet

Brian Ottum

I observed very slow internet last evening (as well as many evenings), and had difficulty controlling my scope.  But right now everything is lightning quick (15ping, 60down/12up).

Are we observing an evening-only slowdown due to heavy use, or is it not due to heavy use?

Brian

Dan Crowson

Brian,

That’s what I’m thinking as I see the same (gets quicker as the night goes on). I would expect slow ping times versus lost packets though when it is slow. I sent an email to Larry as I think others might have. It would be worth mentioning to him so that make changes if that is what is needed. With the influx of people over the last year (10+) and newer CMOS cameras that make files 100+ MB, it might be time.

Dan

----          
Dan Crowson                          dcrowson@...
Dardenne Prairie MO               http://www.crowson.com

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Ottum
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 8:06 AM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Slow Internet

I observed very slow internet last evening (as well as many evenings), and had difficulty controlling my scope.  But right now everything is lightning quick (15ping, 60down/12up).

Are we observing an evening-only slowdown due to heavy use, or is it not due to heavy use?

Brian

Michael Gratiot

Not sure, I sent Michael a note last night and he then asked Al to look into it.  I have not heard anything else since.  Last night Dan and I noticed that 20% ish of the network packets were dropping (this is not usually an indication of over usage); right now it is under 10% packet loss; so there is an issue somewhere between our systems and the outside world.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 8:05 AM Brian Ottum <ottum@...> wrote:

Brian

Brian Ottum

Dan,

I totally agree.  I will also send an email to Larry, and recommend others do as well. 

Brian

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Crowson
Sent: Friday, December 4, 2020 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Slow Internet

Brian,

That’s what I’m thinking as I see the same (gets quicker as the night goes on). I would expect slow ping times versus lost packets though when it is slow. I sent an email to Larry as I think others might have. It would be worth mentioning to him so that make changes if that is what is needed. With the influx of people over the last year (10+) and newer CMOS cameras that make files 100+ MB, it might be time.

Dan

----          

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io [mailto:DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Ottum
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 8:06 AM
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] Slow Internet

Brian

Brian Ottum

Yes, the first step is to truly define the source of the problem.  Thanks to you, Michael, Al and Dan for looking into this.

Brian

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Gratiot

Not sure, I sent Michael a note last night and he then asked Al to look into it.  I have not heard anything else since.  Last night Dan and I noticed that 20% ish of the network packets were dropping (this is not usually an indication of over usage); right now it is under 10% packet loss; so there is an issue somewhere between our systems and the outside world.

Brian

Howard Anderson

Hi All,

For what its worth, I have not taken any photos for a while
but when I do, I do all image processing on my remote computer
at the site there.  When I have completed all processing (Maxim DL,
ExCalibrate, PhotoShop, stacking, etc., I then end up with a
JPG file of rather small size which I upload to the machine here
at home.

I assume the rest of you are also wisely using similar methods to
reduce use of bandwidth...

Thanks,

Howard

On 12/4/2020 08:20, Brian Ottum wrote:

Yes, the first step is to truly define the source of the problem.  Thanks to you, Michael, Al and Dan for looking into this.

Brian

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Gratiot

Brian

Brian Ottum

Howard,

I follow your workflow exactly, and upload just one combined file to my home PC.  (Rarely, if I take a video, I must upload a bloated .avi.)

You are raising a critical issue that is a contributing factor to the total “load” we place on DSNM’s Internet connection.  If people are uploading each of their sub-frames and processing at home, they are using 20X to 100X the bandwidth.

Brian

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Anderson
Sent: Friday, December 4, 2020 10:33 AM

Hi All,

at home.

Thanks,

Howard

Brian

Brian

Dan Crowson

I suspect there are a combination of the two and that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m pretty confident that isn’t the issue here because people are not taking and uploading images for the most part right after the sun sets. I would expect most people to grab files during the non-astronomy hours anyway. Everyone I know does this. Really processing images requires much better hardware than most people have on site.

Dan

----          

Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 9:41 AM

Howard,

I follow your workflow exactly, and upload just one combined file to my home PC.  (Rarely, if I take a video, I must upload a bloated .avi.)

You are raising a critical issue that is a contributing factor to the total “load” we place on DSNM’s Internet connection.  If people are uploading each of their sub-frames and processing at home, they are using 20X to 100X the bandwidth.

Brian

From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Anderson

Hi All,

at home.

Thanks,

Howard

Brian

Brian

Dean Glace

Dan,

I wait until about 9-10 am to upliad my files....nothing during imaging hours.

Dean

On Dec 4, 2020, at 11:13 AM, Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

I suspect there are a combination of the two and that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m pretty confident that isn’t the issue here because people are not taking and uploading images for the most part right after the sun sets. I would expect most people to grab files during the non-astronomy hours anyway. Everyone I know does this. Really processing images requires much better hardware than most people have on site.

Dan

----          

Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 9:41 AM

Howard,

Brian

Hi All,

at home.

Thanks,

Howard

Brian

Brian

Madhup Rathi

I stack all my images in Maxim DL on the remote computer and only the stacked images of each color is transferred to my home computer for processing.

Madhup

On Dec 4, 2020, at 11:52 AM, Brian Ottum <ottum@...> wrote:

Howard,

Brian

Hi All,

at home.

Thanks,

Howard

Brian

Brian