Sharpless 274

Dan Crowson

Sharpless 274 (Abell 21, LBN 1051 and the Medusa nebula) is a planetary nebula located approximately 1050 light-years away in Gemini.

Ha – 30x1800s – 900 minutes – binned 1x1

OIII – 24x1800s – 720 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

1720 minutes total exposure – 29 hours

Imaged over 14 nights from February, 2016 through February, 2020 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

HOO-RGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/51075069997/sizes/l/

My previous LRGB image can be found here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/33534546662/sizes/l

Excellent soft glow.

Sharpless 274 (Abell 21, LBN 1051 and the Medusa nebula) is a planetary nebula located approximately 1050 light-years away in Gemini.

Ha – 30x1800s – 900 minutes – binned 1x1

OIII – 24x1800s – 720 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

1720 minutes total exposure – 29 hours

Imaged over 14 nights from February, 2016 through February, 2020 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

HOO-RGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/51075069997/sizes/l/

My previous LRGB image can be found here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/33534546662/sizes/l

William McLaughlin

Looks very nice. I am gathering data on that as well and your image is a reminder that we really need more focal length.  On that subject and relevant to our PM discussion of scopes, we were unable to get the CFF scope due to  international and logistical issues and decided that the Orion UK scope was of "somewhat variable quality". We plan to get another 10 inch iDK instead for late summer or fall installation. More expensive but a known quantity since I have one at home..

Thanks for looking.

I’d be interested in how well the Orion (UK) works out. I’ve thought about one of those more than once. I’ve seen a few of those come up on the secondary market a couple times.

Looks very nice. I am gathering data on that as well and your image is a reminder that we really need more focal length.  On that subject and relevant to our PM discussion of scopes, we were unable to get the CFF scope due to  international and logistical issues and decided that the Orion UK scope was of "somewhat variable quality". We plan to get another 10 inch iDK instead for late summer or fall installation. More expensive but a known quantity since I have one at home..

Dan,

Excellent result. It compares very favorably to yesterday’s APOD.

Bernard

Sharpless 274 (Abell 21, LBN 1051 and the Medusa nebula) is a planetary nebula located approximately 1050 light-years away in Gemini.

Ha – 30x1800s – 900 minutes – binned 1x1

OIII – 24x1800s – 720 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

1720 minutes total exposure – 29 hours

Imaged over 14 nights from February, 2016 through February, 2020 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

HOO-RGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/51075069997/sizes/l/

My previous LRGB image can be found here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/33534546662/sizes/l

William McLaughlin

Not the Orion, we finally decided not to buy that because the reports I have seen show the quality to be unpredictable and too often not great. We plan to go with a 10 inch AGO iDK....