Sharpless 166

Dan Crowson

Sharpless 166 (LBN 566 and others) is a faint HII region located approximately 7,700 light-years away in Cassiopeia.

Ha – 26x1800s – 780 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

900 minutes total exposure – 15 hours

Imaged over 11 nights from November, 2019 through January, 2021 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

HaRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/50987006156/sizes/l/

That certainly is faint, Dan.  Not many red photons gathered in 15 hours!

MJ

On 02/27/2021 3:25 PM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

Sharpless 166 (LBN 566 and others) is a faint HII region located approximately 7,700 light-years away in Cassiopeia.

Ha – 26x1800s – 780 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

900 minutes total exposure – 15 hours

Imaged over 11 nights from November, 2019 through January, 2021 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

HaRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/50987006156/sizes/l/

William McLaughlin

To be honest, I cannot see anything at all besides stars.  Is your processing monitor calibrated?

I am viewing things on a Datacolor SpyderX calibrated monitor....

Your monitor must be extremely dark. I can easily see the nebula on several…

To be honest, I cannot see anything at all besides stars.  Is your processing monitor calibrated?

I am viewing things on a Datacolor SpyderX calibrated monitor....

Looked dark on my iPad too, until I turned the brightness up...then it was ghostly.

On 2/28/2021 9:44 AM, Dan Crowson wrote:

Your monitor must be extremely dark. I can easily see the nebula on several…

To be honest, I cannot see anything at all besides stars.  Is your processing monitor calibrated?

I am viewing things on a Datacolor SpyderX calibrated monitor....

Here’s a brighter version - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/50987006156/sizes/l/.

The background counts on the original were similar to what I normally use.

Looked dark on my iPad too, until I turned the brightness up...then it was ghostly.

On 2/28/2021 9:44 AM, Dan Crowson wrote:

Your monitor must be extremely dark. I can easily see the nebula on several…

To be honest, I cannot see anything at all besides stars.  Is your processing monitor calibrated?

I am viewing things on a Datacolor SpyderX calibrated monitor....

Better!

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 08:44 AM, Dan Crowson wrote:
Your monitor must be extremely dark. I can easily see the nebula on several…

New version looks much better.  As far as  my monitor goes, as it has been calibrated to the correct web standard using my Spyder, the calibration includes brightness as well as color and even accounts for the brightness of the room the monitor is in.