Sh2-027 wide field -- by necessity

David Elmore

Folks,

Sh2-027 is a relatively faint but huge emission nebula parked above Sagittarius and the plane of the Milky Way in the constellation of Ophiuchus. Correct me if wrong, but I think this is the single largest emission nebula in the sky certainly the largest Sharpless catalog entry.
The cartoon character appearance (with the Oxygen-rich nose) as well as the challenge of capturing such a large object in detail attracted me to this nebula.

The image is composed from four merged panels of 57 total exposures each 10 minutes for a total of 9-1/2 hours of shutter open time recorded over four nights in April. The field of view is about 12° X 12°.

Borg 55FL Astro-graph, 200mm focal length, F/3.6
ZWO ASI2400MC Pro camera gain 140 offset 10 temperature -15C.
IDAS NBZ dual band filter at H-alpha and Oxygen III
iOptron GEM45EC mount guided.

Flat and Dark corrected (64 of each) in AstroPixelProcessor.
APP processing to separate the H-alpha and OIII channels and process them separately before combining into RGB as HOO, light pollution removal and star color balancing. Final color adjustments in MacOS Photos.

David

https://astrob.in/tazth9/0/

Gregg Ruppel

Great wide field mosaic, outstanding processing. Thanks for sharing.

On Apr 21, 2021, at 8:57 AM, David Elmore <davidelmore@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

Bernard Miller

David,

Beautiful wide field. Great processing on the mosaic and nice color. I can definitely see a face.

[...]

This is fantastic and a perfect object for your setup. This one is even missing from Dean's Sharplesscatalog website.

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com