Planetary PuWe1

MJ Post

This planetary in Lynx has eluded me for years, but dark skies and a fast scope finally allowed me to gather enough photons last night at DSNM.

One hour each H-alpha and OIII data, binned 2x2 on QHY600MM, using the f/2.8 Officina RH350 AT scope.

M.J. Post

Gregg Ruppel

Wow...very impressive!  Thanks for sharing.

On Feb 9, 2021, at 12:09 PM, MJ Post <bldrpost@...> wrote:

This planetary in Lynx has eluded me for years, but dark skies and a fast scope finally allowed me to gather enough photons last night at DSNM.

One hour each H-alpha and OIII data, binned 2x2 on QHY600MM, using the f/2.8 Officina RH350 AT scope.

M.J. Post
<Pu_We1_HOO_PS.jpg>

Brian Ottum

Great job, M.J.!

This planetary in Lynx has eluded me for years, but dark skies and a fast scope finally allowed me to gather enough photons last night at DSNM.

One hour each H-alpha and OIII data, binned 2x2 on QHY600MM, using the f/2.8 Officina RH350 AT scope.

M.J. Post

Chen Wu

This is one of my targets as well. I've piled up 40+ hours data and still plan to double it.
Thanks for sharing, MJ.

Chen

--

Yours Truly,
Chen

Dan Crowson

MJ,

Really nice. This is one of the few I’ve not imaged. I think I once tried it from my driveway and ended up with nothing in my exposures.

Unfortunately, looks like you PixInsighted this one. It has the crunchy, odd star look to it that somewhat detracts from the nebula.

This planetary in Lynx has eluded me for years, but dark skies and a fast scope finally allowed me to gather enough photons last night at DSNM.

One hour each H-alpha and OIII data, binned 2x2 on QHY600MM, using the f/2.8 Officina RH350 AT scope.

M.J. Post

Dan Crowson

Pointed at it tonight and didn't pick up anything in a 30 minute OIII. No clouds doing the exposure. That thing is really faint.

Chen Wu

At DSNM, we do unit gain for 10 min and you have to stare at it to feel as if it was there.  Here's a comparison of a10min sub and a 21 hours master.
image.png
It is indeed very very faint. So is Ha.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:35 AM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:
Pointed at it tonight and didn't pick up anything in a 30 minute OIII. No clouds doing the exposure. That thing is really faint.

--

Yours Truly,
Chen

Dan Crowson

Thanks Chen. Might be too late in the year for this one – at least for OIII for me. In a second look, I think I can see something but still extremely dim and it takes up my full field of view so a bit different.

At DSNM, we do unit gain for 10 min and you have to stare at it to feel as if it was there.  Here's a comparison of a10min sub and a 21 hours master.

image.png

It is indeed very very faint. So is Ha.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:35 AM Dan Crowson <dcrowson@...> wrote:

Pointed at it tonight and didn't pick up anything in a 30 minute OIII. No clouds doing the exposure. That thing is really faint.

--

Yours Truly,

Chen

MJ Post

Chen - Yes, it it extremely dim, and I was very surprised to have captured enough with just one hour exposure through each filter.  My H-a filter is a Baader f/2 version, so it is fairly wide (unpublished specs but I'm guessing 8 nm effective).  My OIII filter is a normal Baader 8 nm-wide filter - no f/2  OIII filters have been available for 2.5 years!  I believe narrower filters would have helped considerably, but were not an option for me.

What did the trick, I believe, is the scope and camera combination.  The QHY600 is back-illuminated, highly quantum-efficient, with very low camera noise.  Sky noise dominates all camera noise.  I lost resolution but chose to bin 2x2 to increase sensitivity. I'm operating at a gain of 0.3 e- per ADU, and 16-bit digitizing resolution helps a lot!

The Officina RH350 AT scope operates at f/2.8, reducing needed observation time.

MJ Post

On 02/10/2021 8:59 AM Chen Wu <chenwu2004@...> wrote:

At DSNM, we do unit gain for 10 min and you have to stare at it to feel as if it was there.  Here's a comparison of a10min sub and a 21 hours master.
image.png
It is indeed very very faint. So is Ha.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:35 AM Dan Crowson < dcrowson@...> wrote:
Pointed at it tonight and didn't pick up anything in a 30 minute OIII. No clouds doing the exposure. That thing is really faint.

--

Yours Truly,
Chen

Chen Wu

MJ - Yes, RH350 AT is a dream scope. F2.8 is super fast. All the other gadgets helped as well.

Dan - I started last year but didn't realize the data was far from being enough before I moved on to other targets. Maybe another 20 hours are still possible this season. No rush.