Topics

Palomor 5

Gregg Ruppel

Hi all

Palomar 5 is a globular cluster in Serpens with a very low concentration of stars (Shapley-Sawyer XII):

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/pal5-LRGB.jpg

Map:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/pal5-LRGBmap.jpg

LRGB, 5.5 hours total exposure from Animas, NM

Nice job. Low concentration is an understatement. This looks more like an open cluster to me.

Palomar 5 is a globular cluster in Serpens with a very low concentration of stars (Shapley-Sawyer XII):

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/pal5-LRGB.jpg

Map:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/pal5-LRGBmap.jpg

LRGB, 5.5 hours total exposure from Animas, NM

Hi Bernard
I think Pal 5 is identified by the fact that it has old stars - open clusters are typically newly formed stars.  And secondly, it is in the halo of globulars around the Milky Way rather than embedded in the arms like open (ie. galactic) clusters.  Thirdly, tidal streams of stars being pulled from Pal 5 have been identified, making it even less dense.  Here's a link:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1086/383214

Gregg,