NGC 4490

This is an image of NGC 4490, also known as the Cocoon Galaxy. It is a barred spiral galaxy about 25 million light years away in the constellation Canes Venatici. It is interacting with its neighboring galaxy NGC 4485 (small galaxy on the left) and as a result is a starburst galaxy with large areas of star forming regions seen in the magenta areas of the image.

Thanks for looking and comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC4490.htm

Wow…that’s almost 3D!  The Ha really makes this image stand out.  Thanks for sharing.

On Jun 10, 2021, at 3:48 PM, Bernard Miller <bgmiller011@...> wrote:

Hi,

This is an image of NGC 4490, also known as the Cocoon Galaxy. It is a barred spiral galaxy about 25 million light years away in the constellation Canes Venatici. It is interacting with its neighboring galaxy NGC 4485 (small galaxy on the left) and as a result is a starburst galaxy with large areas of star forming regions seen in the magenta areas of the image.

Thanks for looking and comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC4490.htm

Bernard,

really nice NGC 4490 + 5. This is one of the first Arp's I imaged. There's a crazy amount of Ha here.

Dan