NGC 4449

Dan Crowson

NGC 4449 (Caldwell 21, UGC 7592 and others) is an irregular galaxy located approximately 12 million light-years away in Canes Venatici. It is similar to the Large Magellanic Cloud and appears to have a faint tidal tail that can be seen toward the top right (northwest) in my image.

Luminance – 36x600s – 360 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

480 minutes total exposure – 8 hours

Imaged over seven nights in April and May, 2016 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

LRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/36397055443/sizes/l

Awesome.  I am ignorant of such things – does such detail require a deconvolution routine?

Brian

NGC 4449 (Caldwell 21, UGC 7592 and others) is an irregular galaxy located approximately 12 million light-years away in Canes Venatici. It is similar to the Large Magellanic Cloud and appears to have a faint tidal tail that can be seen toward the top right (northwest) in my image.

Luminance – 36x600s – 360 minutes – binned 1x1

RGB – 8x300s – 40 minutes each – binned 2x2

480 minutes total exposure – 8 hours

Imaged over seven nights in April and May, 2016 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

LRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/36397055443/sizes/l

Wow...you've captured some great detail in this one. Dwarf galaxies are one of my favorite targets too. Thanks for sharing.

Visit my astrophotography site:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/
On 9/13/2017 3:30 PM, 'Dan Crowson' dcrowson@... [DarkSkyNewMexico] wrote:

NGC 4449 (Caldwell 21, UGC 7592 and others) is an irregular galaxy located approximately 12 million light-years away in Canes Venatici. It is similar to the Large Magellanic Cloud and appears to have a faint tidal tail that can be seen toward the top right (northwest) in my image.

Luminance 36x600s 360 minutes binned 1x1

RGB 8x300s 40 minutes each binned 2x2

480 minutes total exposure 8 hours

Imaged over seven nights in April and May, 2016 from Dark Sky New Mexico at Rancho Hidalgo (Animas, New Mexico) with a SBIG STF-8300M on an Astro-Tech AT12RCT at f/8 2432mm.

LRGB - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/36397055443/sizes/l

Dan Crowson dcrowson@...
Dardenne PrairieMO http://www.crowson.com

Nice work Dan. Nice colors.