NGC 4214

NGC 4214 is a galaxy in Canes Venatici, cataloged as "irregular with a bar", but somehow was not included in Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies (seems peculiar to me):

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214-LRGB_2021.jpg

1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214-LRGBcrop.jpg
Annotated:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214_LRGB_2021_Annotated.jpg

LRGB, 11.8 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico.  There is a detailed description of the star forming regions in NGC 4214 in the May issue of Sky and Telescope (pp. 24-25).

Really nice. This one is also designated as NGC 4228. I love these dwarf / irregular galaxies. I seem to have visited this one a few times.

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

NGC 4214 is a galaxy in Canes Venatici, cataloged as "irregular with a bar", but somehow was not included in Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies (seems peculiar to me):

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214-LRGB_2021.jpg

1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214-LRGBcrop.jpg
Annotated:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214_LRGB_2021_Annotated.jpg

LRGB, 11.8 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico. There is a detailed description of the star forming regions in NGC 4214 in the May issue of Sky and Telescope (pp. 24-25).

Ah...so that's why both designations popped up when I searched in PI!

On 4/9/2021 1:52 PM, Dan Crowson wrote:
Gregg,

Really nice. This one is also designated as NGC 4228. I love these dwarf / irregular galaxies. I seem to have visited this one a few times.

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

NGC 4214 is a galaxy in Canes Venatici, cataloged as "irregular with a bar", but somehow was not included in Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies (seems peculiar to me):

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214-LRGB_2021.jpg

1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214-LRGBcrop.jpg
Annotated:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214_LRGB_2021_Annotated.jpg

LRGB, 11.8 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico. There is a detailed description of the star forming regions in NGC 4214 in the May issue of Sky and Telescope (pp. 24-25).

... and I think this is some of the reason why I've imaged it numerous times. :)

----
Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com

NGC 4214 is a galaxy in Canes Venatici, cataloged as "irregular with a bar", but somehow was not included in Arp's Atlas of Peculiar Galaxies (seems peculiar to me):

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214-LRGB_2021.jpg

1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214-LRGBcrop.jpg
Annotated:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc4214_LRGB_2021_Annotated.jpg

LRGB, 11.8 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico. There is a detailed description of the star forming regions in NGC 4214 in the May issue of Sky and Telescope (pp. 24-25).

Beautiful processing. I like the detail in the 1.3x crop and the pun 😊