NGC 2903

MJ Post

Folks - Here's my recent attempt at imaging a nearly face-on spiral that's in our neighborhood but not considered to be part of our "local group."  Apparently it is a free-floater, not gravitationally bound to anything discernable.

This was by far my longest time on any target - 3.3 hours of 300-sec unguided subs on a one-shot-color camera, the ASI 6200MC - using my CDK14 scope at DSNM.  I'm finding out that with an f/7.2 scope, longer total exposure times do seem to pay off.  I think I'll go for 600-sec subs in the future to reduce the shear bulk of processing.

I apologize for not saturating colors as much as others do.  To me, this level of colorization seems within the bounds of being "natural."

M.J. Post

Dan Crowson

MJ,

Looks really good to me including the saturation.

Folks - Here's my recent attempt at imaging a nearly face-on spiral that's in our neighborhood but not considered to be part of our "local group."  Apparently it is a free-floater, not gravitationally bound to anything discernable.

This was by far my longest time on any target - 3.3 hours of 300-sec unguided subs on a one-shot-color camera, the ASI 6200MC - using my CDK14 scope at DSNM.  I'm finding out that with an f/7.2 scope, longer total exposure times do seem to pay off.  I think I'll go for 600-sec subs in the future to reduce the shear bulk of processing.

I apologize for not saturating colors as much as others do.  To me, this level of colorization seems within the bounds of being "natural."

M.J. Post

Gregg Ruppel

Very nice....impressive done unguided.  Thanks for sharing.

On Apr 5, 2021, at 1:03 PM, MJ Post <bldrpost@...> wrote:

Folks - Here's my recent attempt at imaging a nearly face-on spiral that's in our neighborhood but not considered to be part of our "local group."  Apparently it is a free-floater, not gravitationally bound to anything discernable.

This was by far my longest time on any target - 3.3 hours of 300-sec unguided subs on a one-shot-color camera, the ASI 6200MC - using my CDK14 scope at DSNM.  I'm finding out that with an f/7.2 scope, longer total exposure times do seem to pay off.  I think I'll go for 600-sec subs in the future to reduce the shear bulk of processing.

I apologize for not saturating colors as much as others do.  To me, this level of colorization seems within the bounds of being "natural."

M.J. Post
<N2903_PS1.jpg>