From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gregg Ruppel
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 1:46 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] NGC 2685 - Arp 336

Hi all:

NGC 2685, also Arp 336, is a polar ring galaxy in Ursa Major. It is sometimes referred to as the Helix Galaxy or the Pancake Galaxy:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc2685-LRGB.jpg

1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc2685-LRGBcrop.jpg

LRGB, 4.8 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico

Nice capture, Gregg. I think this is the first polar ring galaxy I've seen. Are other such galaxy's rings typically blue?

MJ

On 02/12/2021 11:45 AM Gregg Ruppel <ruppel0709@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all:

NGC 2685, also Arp 336, is a polar ring galaxy in Ursa Major.  It is
sometimes referred to as the Helix Galaxy or the Pancake Galaxy:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc2685-LRGB.jpg

1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc2685-LRGBcrop.jpg

LRGB, 4.8 hours total exposure from Dark Sky New Mexico

There's a lot of good stuff in this one. It would make for a good image with a big scope and a lot of time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/26043131133/sizes/l/

Dan Crowson dcrowson@crowson.com
Dardenne Prairie MO http://www.crowson.com