NGC 2467 - The Skull and Crossbones Nebula

This is an image of NGC 2467, also known as the Skull and Crossbones Nebula. It is an emission nebula associated with open cluster NGC 2467. The cluster is not actually a single open cluster but rather a combination of several distinct clusters at different distances along our line of site. This nebula contains open cluster Haffner 18 (center) and 19 (center right in the bright red circular region). The bright star in the center of the pinkish region in the center bottom of the image is HD64315, which is a massive young star that is shaping the nebula complex.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC2467.htm

http://www.azstarman.net

Very nice!  The Ha seems to bind the rest of the components together.  Thanks for sharing it.

On 2/16/2021 11:40 AM, Bernard Miller wrote:

Hi,

This is an image of NGC 2467, also known as the Skull and Crossbones Nebula. It is an emission nebula associated with open cluster NGC 2467. The cluster is not actually a single open cluster but rather a combination of several distinct clusters at different distances along our line of site. This nebula contains open cluster Haffner 18 (center) and 19 (center right in the bright red circular region). The bright star in the center of the pinkish region in the center bottom of the image is HD64315, which is a massive young star that is shaping the nebula complex.

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

http://www.azstarman.net/CDK/NGC2467.htm

http://www.azstarman.net

Bernard,

After 48 years in this hobby, it is great to see things like this for the very first time!

Thank you.

Brian