Topics

NGC 1893 and visitor

I started collecting data on NGC 1893 (also IC 410 and Sh2-236), the open cluster and complex emission nebula in Auriga a few weeks back.  Then a few days ago I noticed that comet c2020 M3 ATLAS would be passing through the field on 12/8.

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc1893-HaLRGB_M3ATLAS.jpg

Here's the field before the comet arrived:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc1893-HaLRGB.jpg

HaLRGB, 30.8 hours exposure for the cluster/nebula with an additional 40 minutes for the comet.  Captured with CCD Commander from Dark Sky New Mexico.

Chen Wu

This is really cool. Thanks for sharing, Gregg.

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 12:58 PM Gregg Ruppel <ruppel0709@...> wrote:
Hi all:

I started collecting data on NGC 1893 (also IC 410 and Sh2-236), the
open cluster and complex emission nebula in Auriga a few weeks back.
Then a few days ago I noticed that comet c2020 M3 ATLAS would be passing
through the field on 12/8.

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc1893-HaLRGB_M3ATLAS.jpg

Here's the field before the comet arrived:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc1893-HaLRGB.jpg

HaLRGB, 30.8 hours exposure for the cluster/nebula with an additional 40
minutes for the comet.  Captured with CCD Commander from Dark Sky New
Mexico.

Yours Truly,
Chen

MJ Post

Excellent rendition, Gregg. I can't help but thinking "two tadpoles swimming into the ear of the skeleton, now with a comet through the skull." Poor guy! But glad you captured the event and shared it. MJ

On 12/09/2020 11:58 AM Gregg Ruppel <ruppel0709@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all:

I started collecting data on NGC 1893 (also IC 410 and Sh2-236), the
open cluster and complex emission nebula in Auriga a few weeks back.
Then a few days ago I noticed that comet c2020 M3 ATLAS would be passing
through the field on 12/8.

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc1893-HaLRGB_M3ATLAS.jpg

Here's the field before the comet arrived:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc1893-HaLRGB.jpg

HaLRGB, 30.8 hours exposure for the cluster/nebula with an additional 40
minutes for the comet.  Captured with CCD Commander from Dark Sky New
Mexico.

Great job and great image. This one is an definite APOD candidate. I imaged it yesterday, but in Ha.