From: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io <DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io> On Behalf Of MJ Post
Sent: Thursday, December 10, 2020 12:47 PM
To: DarkSkyNewMexico@groups.io
Subject: [DarkSkyNewMexico] NGC 1514

Here's a beautiful target in Taurus - a small planetary nebula formed from a rapidly-orbiting (4-9 day period) double star system, the progenitor of which was originally about 4.5 solar masses.  The bright central star is an AO III giant, whereas the progenitor is a now a small O-type, sub-luminous dwarf.

This planetary was discovered by William Herschel in 1790, and it caused him to reconsider his hypothesis that all nebulae were clouds of unresolved stars.  It is about 800 light-years from us.

M.J. Post

Tech card:

L,R,G,& B each six 600-sec unguided subs binned 2x2 on ASI6200MM camera

PlaneWave CDK14 scope, ME II mount

DSNM, Dec. 7, 2020 UTC

Dan Crowson

MJ,

Nice capture. The one thing I notice is that I have a feeling it is heavily clipped since the background looks to be completely black and you have zero star color. The faint stuff below (to the right in your image) also appears colorless.

My version - https://www.flickr.com/photos/dcrowson/49254295992/sizes/l/

Here's a beautiful target in Taurus - a small planetary nebula formed from a rapidly-orbiting (4-9 day period) double star system, the progenitor of which was originally about 4.5 solar masses.  The bright central star is an AO III giant, whereas the progenitor is a now a small O-type, sub-luminous dwarf.

This planetary was discovered by William Herschel in 1790, and it caused him to reconsider his hypothesis that all nebulae were clouds of unresolved stars.  It is about 800 light-years from us.

M.J. Post

Tech card:

L,R,G,& B each six 600-sec unguided subs binned 2x2 on ASI6200MM camera

PlaneWave CDK14 scope, ME II mount

DSNM, Dec. 7, 2020 UTC

MJ Post

Dan - I agree.  I'm new to the LRGB game and probably messed up somewhere along the line.  I like the colors in your version!

MJ

On 12/10/2020 11:14 AM Brian Ottum <ottum@...> wrote:

Beautiful is right, MJ!