NGC 1253 (Arp 279)

Gregg Ruppel

Hi everyone

NGC 1253 and 1253a are "interacting double galaxies" in Arp's terminology.  Located in the constellation Eridanus:

http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc1253-LRGB.jpg

1.3X crop:
http://www.greggsastronomy.com/IMAGES/ngc1253-LRGBcrop.jpg

LRGB, 5.6 hours total exposure.  I'm not a Trekkie, but does anyone else think this looks like the starship Enterprise?

Nice image. I would love to see this one done by Hubble.